Marco assists lenders and borrowers with financing transactions and general corporate matters. His business background allows him to provide clients with legal advice and analysis founded on a sound understanding of the underlying financial objectives of each transaction.
Aside from his transactional work, Marco also helps clients navigate the complex regulatory frameworks in which they operate. He regularly advises clients on the compliance of their business models and practices with current and evolving laws, particularly in emerging industries. Marco has also successfully advocated on behalf of the firm’s clients on a number of regulatory matters.
Marco is a JD/MBA graduate from the University of Calgary. While at law school, Marco worked with Student Legal Assistance and Calgary Legal Guidance, providing representation to low-income and disadvantaged members of the community on a range of legal matters. Prior to entering law school, Marco earned his BA and MA (Political Studies) from Queen’s University. During his time at Queen’s, Marco worked as a teaching assistant and summered at the United Nations Headquarters in Manhattan.
- Author, “Ontario Re-lays Foundation for Brick and Mortar Sales of Recreational Cannabis”, The Lawyer’s Daily, October 9, 2018
- Author, “Clients, counsel walking on sunshine after court clarifies Interest Act in Solar decision”, The Lawyer’s Daily, September 21, 2018
- Author, “Lenders and their Counsel Walking on Sunshine: Court of Appeal Clarifies Section 4 of the Interest Act in Solar Power Decision”, Miller Thomson’s Financial Services & Insolvency Communiqué, September 12, 2018
- Co-author, “Ontario Amends Gift Card Regulation”, Miller Thomson’s Marketing, Advertising & Product Compliance Communiqué, April 27, 2018
- Co-author, “Key Lessons from Federal Trade Commission’s 2017 Report on Privacy and Data Security”, Miller Thomson Cyber-security Blog, March 1, 2018
- Co-author, “CSA Provides Clarification to Issuers with U.S. Marijuana-Related Activities”, Miller Thomson Capital Markets & Securities, February 21, 2018
- Co-author, “Hail Mary Pass to Supreme Court Missed Its Mark: Application to Stay CRTA Order Prohibiting Simultaneous Substitution during the Super Bowl Dismissed”, Miller Thomson’s Marketing, Advertising & Product Compliance Communiqué, February 5, 2018
- Co-author, “TSX Clarifies Application of its Requirements to Marijuana Issuers with US Activities”, October 20, 2017
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2018
- J.D./M.B.A., University of Calgary, 2017
- M.A., Political Studies, Queen’s University, 2013
- B.A., Honours, Political Studies, Queen’s University, 2012