Laura Mensch is a highly-experienced management-side labour and employment lawyer. She provides practical, timely and client-specific advice to employers in the areas of labour, employment, occupational health and safety and human rights law. Laura ensures that she truly understands her client’s challenges, goals and legal requirements before making recommendations. Her thoughtful, practical and timely advice has made her a trusted advisor and a strong advocate.
Laura acts for a wide variety of employers in both federally and provincially regulated industries such as energy, manufacturing, construction, information technology, and financial and professional services. She also acts for municipalities, private schools, government regulators, and First Nations. Laura has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta as well as before the Alberta Labour Relations Board, human rights tribunals, and other administrative tribunals. She also provides strategic advice to clients in relations to workplace restructuring and mergers and acquisitions.
Laura’s client experience includes:
- Advising employers on labour relations matters such as certification, collective bargaining and management/labour relations, and representing management employers before the Alberta Labour Relations Board and at grievance arbitrations
- Representing employers in civil court actions involving issues such as wrongful and constructive dismissal, breach or enforcement of restrictive covenants and confidentiality obligations and breach of fiduciary duties
- Providing advice to employers on occupational health and safety obligations and practices, providing guidance to employers following a workplace accident and during an occupational health and safety investigation and representing employers charged with offences under Alberta’s occupational health and safety legislation
- Advising employers regarding their human rights obligations to their employees and representing employers before human rights tribunals
- Representing employers in relation to other employment-related administrative proceedings such as workers’ compensation hearings and appeals, employment standards complaints and privacy complaints
- Conducting and overseeing workplace investigations
- Providing advice to employers with respect to employee recruitment, hiring, management, discipline, and employee terminations
- Drafting and reviewing employment documents including employment and independent contractor agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, severance documents and agreements, arbitration agreements, compensation and incentive plans and agreements, workplace handbooks and policies including drug and alcohol policies
- Conducting compliance reviews for employers with respect to employment, labour, privacy and occupational health and safety legislation
- Delivering educational and training seminars for employers on a variety of labour and employment topics including occupational health and safety, workplace harassment and compliance with employment and labour legislation
- Advising employers on corporate transactions affecting employees and preparing employment-related documents to facilitate a smooth transaction
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Labour and Employment Law, 2014-2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Workplace Human Rights, 2018
- Canadian Industrial Relations Association Conference, Panel Speaker, “First Contract Arbitrations”, November 2017
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, Panel Speaker and Paper, “Mental Health Issue in the Workplace”, September 2017
- CPHR Alberta, Webinar Presentation, “Changes to Alberta Employment and Labour Legislation”, July 2017
- Client Seminar, “Accommodating Gender in the Workplace”, April 2017
- Client Seminar, “Trends in Employment Litigation and Reasonable Notice Periods”, December 2016
- Client Seminar, “Employee Performance Management”, May 2016
- Client Seminar, “The Basics of Canadian Employment Law”
- Client Seminar, “Occupational Health and Safety Update”, April 2016
- CBA Construction Section, “Employment and Labour Issues in the Construction Industry”, February 2016
- Volunteer, CPHR Alberta
- Volunteer, Student Legal Assistance, University of Calgary
- Past Instructor, University of Calgary Faculty of Law
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of Alberta (CPHR)
- Canadian and Calgary Bar Associations
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1999
- Law Society of Alberta, 1999
- LL.B. University of Calgary 1998
- M.P.A. (Master of Public Administration), Queen’s University, 1995
- B.A. University of Lethbridge, 1991
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2018 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 90 Miller Thomson lawyers across 35 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer review process...
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Calgary Occupational Health and Safety Seminar: What All Employers Need To Know
Laura Mensch, Stephen Torscher and Teri Treiber host a complimentary breakfast seminar on Thursday, May 17, 2018. This seminar will focus on recent changes to the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Workers Compensation Act. Date: Thursday, May 17,...
Get Ready: New Occupational Health and Safety Legislation Will Soon Be in Effect in Alberta
Following closely on the heels of its changes to the Labour Relations Code and the Employment Standards Code, Alberta has passed new occupational health and safety legislation. Employers must quickly get up to speed on these changes, as most of...
Tom Duke, Dan Stachnik and Jill Wilkie are hosting an Occupational Health and Safety seminar on the topic, “What All Employers Need to Know” in Edmonton, AB on May 15th, 2018. A similar seminar will be presented by Laura Mensch,...