Lampros Stougiannos is a partner in the Montréal office of Miller Thomson. He leads the firm’s National Procurement, Construction and Infrastructure Specialty Group.
With a practice focused primarily on project development, Lampros advises private and public sector clients on the structuring, procurement, financing, construction and operation of facilities in a variety of sectors, including transportation and transit, municipal and social infrastructure, hospitals and renewable energy.
Lampros has significant expertise in the negotiation and drafting of complex construction and infrastructure agreements, including public-private partnership (P3) agreements, EPC, EPCM, design-build, as well as operations and maintenance agreements. He has also developed expertise in relation to project financing.
Lampros regularly advises both governments and bidders on issues relating to public procurement, including Quebec and Canada’s public procurement laws and regulations.
With respect to renewable energy transactions, Lampros has advised various clients on the development, purchase and sale of numerous renewable energy projects, including wind farms, solar plants and hydroelectric facilities, located in Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia, the United States and Brazil.
Lampros has advised clients in relation to the following infrastructure projects:
- Baie Saint-Paul Hospital (Quebec)
- Brockville General Hospital Phase 2 Redevelopment Project (Ontario)
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), Phase 1C Redevelopment Projects (Ontario)
- Colisée District 55 (Quebec)
- Fleurimont Hospital Emergency and Family Care Centre (Quebec)
- LAC Gatineau 2 Project (Quebec)
- Laval Multifunctional Complex (Quebec)
- Michigan DOT Highway Lighting Project (Michigan)
- Montréal Turcot Complex Redevelopment Project (Quebec)
- Muskrat (Churchill) Falls (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- New Bridge on the Saint-Lawrence Project (Quebec)
- Niagara Falls Entertainment Centre (Ontario)
- North Commuter Parkway and Traffic Bridge Project (Saskatchewan)
- Northeast Anthony Henday Drive (Alberta)
- Penticton Regional Hospital Patient Care Tower Project (British Columbia)
- University of California, Merced Campus Expansion Project (California)
- Université de Montréal Hospital Centre P3 (Quebec)
- Université de Montréal Hospital Research Centre P3 (Quebec)
- Speaker, BIM, Blockchain and Smart Contracts, For the Fun of BIM: Fostering a Culture of Innovation, CanBIM/buildingSMART/BIM Quebec conference, April 12, 2018
- Speaker, BIM, blockchain and smart contracts: The future of the construction industry?, Miller Thomson annual Construction Law seminar, March 20, 2017
- Speaker, Occasions d’affaires à l’extérieur du Québec – Identifier les occasions et les obstacles à l’entrée sur le marché, Miller Thomson annual Construction Law seminar, April 27, 2017
- Speaker, Update on Trade Disputes in the Renewable Energy Sector, Canadian Council On International Law, 45thAnnual Conference, November 4, 2016
- Speaker, Corporate Law, Infrastructure and Renewable Energy, McGill University, McGill Business Law Association Roundtable, February 28, 2012
- Speaker, WTO Trade Challenges to Ontario’s FIT Program, Heenan Blaikie’s Third Annual Earth Week Event, Toronto, April 20, 2011
- Speaker, Financing Wind Projects: Legal Aspects and Due Diligence, 7thCanadian German Wind Energy Conference, Montréal, February 8, 2011
- Speaker, International Trade: a few indispensable legal concepts, Small Business Week (Info entrepreneurs), Montréal, October 23, 2009
- Co-author, “BIM, Blockchain and the Smart Construction Contract”, Text Book, Miller Thomson annual Construction Law Seminar, March 20, 2018
- Co-author, “Major Changes to Public Sector Procurement in Québec”, Breaking Ground: MT Construction Law, January 15, 2018
- Author, “When Good Directors Go Bad: Removing Directors of Not-for-Profit Corporations”, Social Impact Newsletter, November 23, 2017
- Co-author, Mauro, R. and Stougiannos, L. (2017). Cybersecurity, Procurement and the Supply Chain. In I. Ahmad (Ed.), Cybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management (pp. 43-47). Toronto, ON: LexisNexis Canada.
- Author, “Une clause pénale du MTQ déclarée valide”, Journal Constructo, August 29, 2017
- Author, “Un contrat est un contrat… sauf avec une municipalité!”, Journal Constructo, May 30, 2017
- Author, “Much Ado About Nothing? Why Directors Should Think About Committee Governance”, Social Impact Newsletter, May 17, 2017
- Co-author with Gideon Bell, “Canada: First Look at the Canadian Free Trade Agreement”, Mondaq, April 28, 2017
- Co-author, “Why less means more for PPPs & data – Keys to collecting the right information”, Handshake, April 2016
- Co-author, “Leveraging the Law – Structuring natural resource PPs”, Handshake, International Finance Corporation, pp 60–63, Issue 14, July 2014
- Co-author, “The Success of P3 in Canada”, Privatisation & PPP Review 2013/14”, Euromoney Yearbooks, August 2013
- Co-author, “To Dream & Plan”, Handshake, International Finance Corporation, pp 40-42, Issue 10, July 2013
- Author, “Support for Renewable Energy and WTO Law: the Actionability of Ontario and Québec Renewable Energy Support Mechanisms”, Université de Montréal, Montréal, August 2010
- Co-Author, “Charities and Non-Profit Organizations: Directors Liabilities”, Legal Dispatch, Commercemagazine, September 2009
- “Terminating the commercial agency agreement in the Arab world: some concepts to keep in mind”, Bulletin, National Section on International Law newsletter, Canadian Bar Association, January 2009
- Québec Bar
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2008
- LL.M., Université de Montréal, 2011
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2005
Miller Thomson recipient of APECQ Business of the Year Award
Miller Thomson was presented the Business of the Year Award in the Manufacturer-Supplier category at the annual Association patronale des entreprises en construction du Québec (APECQ) President’s Gala on June 1, 2018. This distinction acknowledges the quality and consistency of...
Imran Ahmad authors Cybersecurity in Canada
LexisNexis has released Cybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management. Authored by Imran Ahmad, with contributions from Rosa Mauro, Lampros Stougiannos, and other industry experts, this publication provides a comprehensive analysis of the increasingly critical area of cybersecurity,...
Miller Thomson’s construction law team is growing
We are pleased to welcome Lampros Stougiannos and Karine Carrier who are joining our Construction and Infrastructure Group at our Montréal office, as partner and associate respectively. Lampros has significant expertise in the negotiation and drafting of construction and infrastructure...
Lampros Stougiannos and Alexia Magneron speak at CanBIM Regional Session – Montreal 2018
Lampros Stougiannos and Alexia Magneron give a seminar titled ”BIM, Blockchain and Smart Contracts” at CanBIM Regional Session – Montreal. This presentation provides an overview of certain legal aspects surrounding BIM, Blockchain and Smart Contracts, and discusses the potential applications...
Lampros Stougiannos gives two seminars on Public–private partnerships (P3s) during SETYM International’s study tour
Lampros Stougiannos gives two seminars on Public–private partnerships (P3s) during SETYM International’s “Procurement: New Perspectives and Challenges” study tour in Montréal, on September 29 and October 6.
Miller Thomson 2018 Montréal Construction Law Conference
Featuring: claims, blockchain, quantification of damages, insurance, AMF, tax, cannabis and more! Join us on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 for a daylong conference intended for all construction and real estate sector stakeholders and keep appraised of the most recent developments...
Project Development: Environmental and Indigenous Considerations – Montreal
Le développement de tout projet d’envergure peut générer de nombreux enjeux en matière environnementale que ce soit au niveau de l’obtention des permis requis, de l’acceptabilité sociale, de la gestion des risques dans les contrats d’approvisionnement ou du financement. Le...
Construction Law Seminar 2017
Miller Thomson’s Construction Law Group is pleased to invite you to the next edition of its major annual event in Montréal. This half-day seminar is designed to provide all construction stakeholders with an inside look at the latest developments in...
BIM, Blockchain and the Smart Construction Contract
While the construction industry has traditionally been criticized for being too slow to innovate, the last several years have seen it embrace new business practices, new software and new technologies. The increased use of Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a...
Major Changes to Public Sector Procurement in Québec
On December 1, 2017, the National Assembly unanimously approved the Act to facilitate oversight of public bodies’ contracts and to establish the Autorité des marchés publics (the “Act”). This law represents the most significant change to Quebec’s public procurement regime...
When Good Directors Go Bad: Removing Directors of Not-For-Profit Corporations
Getting rid of an absent, undedicated, or counterproductive director is a delicate task, especially when he or she has a number of years left on their term. While “putting up” with a disruptive director may be possible, it becomes impractical...
( Available in French only )
Une clause pénale du MTQ déclarée valide
Journal Constructo – 29 août 2017 La Cour supérieure dans l’affaire Sintra Inc. c. Procureur Général du Québec (Ministère des Transports) a récemment validé une clause pénale du MTQ bien connue des entrepreneurs œuvrant dans le domaine de la pose...
( Available in French only )
Un contrat est un contrat… sauf avec une municipalité!
Une décision récente de la Cour d’appel du Québec dans l’affaire Ville de Québec c. GM Développement inc.illustre certains principes juridiques fondamentaux devant être pris en compte par un entrepreneur désirant contracter avec une municipalité.Les faits et la décision de la Cour supérieureL’affaire...
( Available in French only )
Un contrat est un contrat… sauf avec une municipalité!
Journal Constructo – 30 mai 2017 Une décision récente de la Cour d’appel du Québec dans l’affaire Ville de Québec c. GM Développement inc. illustre certains principes juridiques fondamentaux devant être pris en compte par un entrepreneur désirant contracter avec...
Much Ado About Nothing? Why Directors Should Think About Committee Governance
Most not-for-profit organisations (NPO) establish one or more committees to perform various roles. From vetting and nominating candidates to serve on the board of directors, to organising fundraisers and events, to reviewing the organisation’s finances and coordinating with its auditors,...
First Look At The Canadian Free Trade Agreement
On Friday, April 7, 2017, the federal, provincial and territorial governments wrapped up negotiations on the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (“CFTA“). This agreement, which takes effect on Canada’s 150th birthday, replaces the 1995 Agreement on Internal Trade (“AIT“). Moving Towards...