Kristy Balkwill is a member of Miller Thomson’s Tax Group. Her practice focuses primarily on international tax structuring, providing Canadian income tax advice regarding cross-border M&A transactions and global corporate reorganizations. Kristy has advised with respect to international asset and share acquisitions/sales, multi-jurisdictional mergers and spin-offs, international trust structuring, and various types and levels of audits by the Canada Revenue Agency.
She also works with high net worth individuals regarding global wealth management structures involving non-resident trusts, and has comprehensive experience providing Canadian income tax advice concerning equity compensation.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Kristy joined Miller Thomson after spending a decade with a global law firm, where she practiced from its Toronto, Geneva, Zurich, and New York offices.
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practioners (New York).
- Kristy is an elected Director, serving on the Skate Canada Board of Directors. She is the Chair of Skate Canada’s Finance, Enterprise and Risk Management Committee, and sits as a member of both the External Relations Committee and the CEO Operational Review Committee.
- Kristy is also a Judge and National level Technical Specialist in the sport of Figure Skating for Canada.
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Full Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (New York)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2007
- New York Bar, 2017
- LL.M., (Taxation), Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- J.D., Queen’s University, 2006
- B.A., (magna cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2003
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Martin Rochwerg, Rahul Sharma and Kristy Balkwill speak at March Educational Seminar
Martin Rochwerg, Rahul Sharma and Kristy Balkwill will be presenting at the March Educational Seminar: U.S./Canadian Cross-Border Estate Planning. Topic of discussion will be U.S.-Canada Cross-Border Tax and Estate Planning Considerations. The presentation will highlight from a Canadian perspective some...