Kristy Balkwill is a member of Miller Thomson's Tax Group. Her practice focuses primarily on international tax structuring, providing Canadian income tax advice regarding cross-border M&A transactions and global corporate reorganizations. Kristy has advised with respect to international asset and share acquisitions/sales, multi-jurisdictional mergers and spin-offs, international trust structuring, and various types and levels of audits by the Canada Revenue Agency.
She also works with high net worth individuals regarding global wealth management structures involving non-resident trusts, and has comprehensive experience providing Canadian income tax advice concerning equity compensation.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Kristy joined Miller Thomson after spending a decade with a global law firm, where she practiced from its Toronto, Geneva, Zurich, and New York offices.
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practioners (New York).
- Kristy is an elected Director, serving on the Skate Canada Board of Directors. She is the Chair of Skate Canada’s Finance, Enterprise and Risk Management Committee, and sits as a member of both the External Relations Committee and the CEO Operational Review Committee.
- Kristy is also a Judge and National level Technical Specialist in the sport of Figure Skating for Canada.
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Full Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (New York)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2007
- New York Bar, 2017
- LL.M., (Taxation), Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- J.D., Queen’s University, 2006
- B.A., (magna cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2003