Kristina Shaw’s many years of experience in corporate law has her advising various clients—from start-ups to large corporations—on a broad range of business law and finance matters. Kristina continually strives to build trusted adviser relationships with entrepreneurs, executives, and senior leadership teams while providing practical, timely, and cost-effective advice. Kristina is also involved in the Firm’s social impact practice and works with a number of not-for-profit and charitable entities.
Kristina has extensive experience advising clients on mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, lending and asset-based financing transactions (acting for both lenders and borrowers), business structures, partnerships, joint venture arrangements, and corporate reorganizations. Kristina’s work with not-for-profit organizations includes forming new entities, mergers, and corporate governance.
Kristina provides practical advice and counsel in a number of key areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions: representing owners of businesses in many industries on acquisitions, sales, mergers, and plans of arrangement.
- Lending: representing lenders (institutional and non-institutional) and borrowers in the establishment of traditional secured financings, unsecured credit facilities, equipment leasing and other lease finance arrangements, and asset-based transactions.
- Business formation: representing entrepreneurs in the formation and establishment of new businesses.
- Regulated professional corporations: assisting regulated professionals to create professional corporations, transfer existing professional practices, and acquire or dispose of professional practices.
- Social impact: assisting charities and not-for-profit organizations with mergers, corporate governance, formation and organization, windup, and dissolution.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Lexpert Zenith Award: Mid-Career Excellence in the Legal Profession, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law, 2015-2019
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in London/Windsor
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2014 – 2018; Banking and Financial Institutions, 2017-2018
- Recipient, Stuart Tom Prize in Business Law
- Recipient, McCarthy Tetrault LLP Prize in Business Law
- Recipient, Greta J. Grant Award for Community Legal Services
- Represented a US-based shareholder of large national animal feed and nutrition manufacturer on the sale of shares of Canadian subsidiary to a multinational animal nutrition and health products distributor.
- Represented a Southwestern Ontario-based company in connection with the sale of a retirement residence to a national retirement residence and seniors’ living operator.
- Represented a large national animal feed and nutrition manufacturer in connection with their merger with another Canadian-based animal feed manufacturer and distributor.
- Represented sellers of an Ontario-based agricultural automation developer and manufacturer to a global animal health company.
- “Control of Governance: Who are the Proper Members and Directors of a Charitable Not-For-Profit Corporation?” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, June 2010
- Chair, Personal Gifts Division, London Regional Children’s Museum, 2002 Capital Campaign
- Vice-Chair and Director, Children’s Health Foundation
- Committee Chair, Fore the Kids Golf Tournament
- Past President, London Convention Centre
- Past President, Goodwill Industries Ontario Great Lakes
- Member, Management Committee, Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization
- Member, Emerging Leaders Sustainability Taskforce
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Middlesex Law Association
- Member, TechAlliance of Southwestern Ontario
- Member, London Club
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1999
- LL.B., Western University, 1997
- B.A. (Economics), Queen’s University, 1994
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Sarah Hansen, Troy McEachren and Kristina Shaw named 2018 Zenith Award winners
Miller Thomson Partners Sarah Hansen, Troy McEachren and Kristina Shaw are recipients of the 2018 Lexpert Zenith Awards celebrating Mid-Career Excellence. The Zenith Awards recognize lawyers across the country who excel in their area of law and in social responsibility....
Miller Thomson recognized in 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2018 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 90 Miller Thomson lawyers across 35 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer review process...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2017 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 79 Miller Thomson lawyers across 30 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These latest rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
Lexpert recognizes 80 Miller Thomson lawyers
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce 80 lawyers across ten of our offices are recognized in the 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as leading practitioners in their field. Published annually since 1997, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory...
Miller Thomson lawyers present Q&A session on food manufacturing and processing
Greg Hertzberger, Robin-Lee Norris, Kristina Shaw and Andy Chan present to the Business Investment and Development Unit of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food (OMAF) in a question/answer session pertaining to the food manufacturing and processing industry.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Karima Kanani and Meg Spevak will be presenting on “Are You Ready? New Amendments to Non-Profit Governance in Ontario” to members of the Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario in Toronto, ON on May 11, 2018. Susan Manwaring will be speaking...
Control of Governance: Who are the Proper Members and Directors of a Charitable Not-For-Profit Corporation?
In the case of Deol v. Grewal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice reviewed the general principles regarding the appointment of members and the election of directors of non-share capital corporations. It issued strong reminders of the necessity to adhere...
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services expands services with transfer of 263 housing units
Counsel to Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services
Fenchurch General Insurance Company sells surety business to Northbridge Financial
Counsel to Fenchurch General Insurance Company and related companies United Surety Limited and Capital Administration Services Inc.
OrthoMed Canada under new ownership
Counsel to the vendors
Strik Baldinelli Moniz acquires EMCAD Consulting Engineers
Counsel to Strik Baldinelli Moniz (SBM) Civil & Structural Engineers
Masterfeeds acquires Feedmatch
Counsel to Masterfeeds
Alltech acquires Masterfeeds, creating one of Canada’s largest animal nutrition offerings
Counsel to Ag Processing Inc. in its sale of shares of Masterfeeds Inc. to Alltech
Devonshire Erin Mills sells long term care facility to Schlegel Villages
Counsel to Devonshire Erin Mills Inc.