Kristen Vandenberg practises health law, acting as General Program Counsel for Miller Thomson On Call, an innovative program designed for health industry clients which provides legal, risk management, policy development, and educational services for urgent and day-to-day issues. She works with a diverse team of lawyers to ensure health industry clients receive practical and timely advice, tailored to their needs.
Kristen was a summer and articling student with Miller Thomson, where she gained experience in a variety of areas, including medical litigation and regulatory matters. Prior to re-joining Miller Thomson as General Program Counsel, Kristen worked as an insurance defence lawyer at a boutique firm in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She has presented at several Canadian Litigation Council conferences and recently assisted in coaching Dalhousie’s Schulich School of Law team which participated in the 2017 Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot at the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
Kristen received her Juris Doctor from Dalhousie in 2015, and also holds a Bachelor of Science in marine biology from Dalhousie where she graduated with honours in 2010. While pursuing her law degree, Kristen spent a semester working at the Dalhousie Legal Aid Clinic, where she represented low-income clients in family, criminal and income assistance matters. She also competed at the Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot competition in 2015, where she was named a Distinguished Oralist.
Professional achievements & leadership
- LexisNexis Canada Prize in Environmental Law, 2015
- Distinguished Oralist, Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot, 2015
- Coffee Talk: A Health Seminar Series, “Bill 160, Strengthening Quality and Accountability for Patients Act, 2017 – What You Need to Know”, presented with Jesstina McFadden, February 14, 2018
- Coffee Talk: A Health Seminar Series, “Parameters and Pitfalls of Patient Discharge and ALC”, presented with Kristen Vandenberg, October 11, 2017
- Strengthening Quality and Accountability for Patients Act, 2017 Becomes Law in Ontario, Health Communiqué, January 16, 2018
- Mandatory Notification Requirements under PHIPA in force October 1, 2017, Health Communiqué, September 26, 2017
- Dalhousie Legal Aid Clinic
- Ryerson Pro Bono Legal Clinic
- Daily Bread Law Firm Challenge
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2016
- Nova Scotia Bar, 2016
- J.D., Dalhousie University, 2015
- B.Sc. (marine biology, honours), Dalhousie University, 2010