Keyvan Nassiry is a corporate-commercial lawyer with substantial expertise in domestic and cross-border financing transactions. He has extensive experience in all aspects of financings, including asset-based lending, factoring, loan syndication, securitization, equipment leasing, retail floor planning, real estate, mining and consumer financings, as well as mergers and acquisitions and project financings. His practice also focuses on turnarounds, private equity, second liens, mezzanine, bridge and other forms of subordinated lending.
Keyvan regularly represents Canadian, American and international banks, private equity funds, commercial lenders, and other financial institutions, as well as borrowers, in connection with complex secured and unsecured credit facilities. He also represents clients in connection with hospitality projects, including hotel financings and purchase and sale transactions.
Keyvan is consistently ranked among the top practitioners in his field by Best Lawyers in Canada, Chambers and Partners, Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining, and the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
Keyvan is a past president of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA—Montréal Chapter). He is a frequent panelist, moderator and lecturer for various continuing legal education programs and private clients.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Asset-Based Lending; Banking and Finance Law, 2016-2019
- Lexpert® Leading Canadian Lawyer in Energy, 2017
- Lexpert® Leading Canadian Lawyer in Infrastructure, 2017
- Lexpert® Leading lawyer in US/Canada cross-border Corporate Law and Transactions, 2017
- Lexpert® Leading Canadian Lawyer in Global Mining, 2016
- Chambers Canada, Banking and Financial Services, 2016
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as the 2016 ‘‘Lawyer of the Year’’ for Asset-Based Lending Practice, Montréal
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Asset-Based Lending; Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing; Banking and Financial Institutions, 2016-2018
- Lead counsel to Ressources Québec, a subsidiary of Investissement Québec, with respect to a $100,000,000 loan to Canadian Royalties Inc., owner and operator of the Nunavik Nickel Project, and its parent company Jien Canada Mining Ltd., guaranteed by the sponsor in China [April 2015]
- Lead counsel to the Administrative Agent regarding a $70,000,000 syndicated loan by three Canadian banks to a Montréal-based contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) involved in an pharmaceutical and nutraceutical manufacturing and packaging, for the refinancing of existing debt and a new term facility to acquire two plants in Long Island [September 2015]
- Lead counsel to a Canadian bank regarding its $20,000,000 asset-based lending facility to a discount department store with operations across Eastern Canada [February 2016]
- Panelist at the CLE program “Avoiding the Pitfalls of Cross-Border Secured Lending in the US and Mexico” at the “Journée stratégique SÛRETÉS” of Open Forum in Montreal, 2017
- Co-chair and Moderator for the CLE program on “Avoiding the Pitfalls of Cross-border Secured Lending in China, Latin America and Western Europe” at the American Bar Association’s Spring Meeting in New Orleans, 2017
- Co-chair, Asset-Based Lending in a Globalized Economy, Canadian Institute Conference, Toronto, 2017
- “A Canadian Perspective on the Hague Securities Convention”, Financial Services & Insolvency Communiqué, article written with Eve Tessier, June 1, 2017
- “Commercial Lending Law” – a Jurisdiction-by-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, 2nd Edition – American Bar Association, Business Law Section publication, Québec chapter, 2016
- Structuring Cross-border Collateral – Avoiding the Pitfalls, – Inaugural Conference on Asset-Based Lending, Canadian Institute, 2016
- “The Law of Guaranties – a Jurisdiction-by-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law” – American Bar Association, Business Law Section publication, Québec chapter, 2013
- Beyond the Credit Agreement, – 8th Advanced Conference on Secured Lending, Canadian Institute, 2011
- Introduction to Factoring, – 10th Annual Conference on Secured Lending, Insight, 2010
- Analyse du financement sur actifs : obtenir le capital recherché pour subvenir aux besoins de votre entreprise, – 5 th Advanced Conference on Secured Lending, Canadian Institute, 2008
- Asset-Based Lending, – Eighth Conference on secured Lending, Insight, 2008
- Drafting and negotiation of loan and security documents, – Insight, – 7th Annual Conference on Secured Lending, 2007
- Asset-Based Lending – Selected Legal Issues in Canada-US Cross-border Deals, – Lexpert Guide to the Top 100 Industry Specialists in Canada, October 2006
- Drafting of the Loan Agreement, – Insight, – 6th Annual Conference on Secured Lending, 2006
- Practical Aspects of Financings, – Insight, – 5th Annual Conference on Secured Lending, 2005
- Tracing the Life of a Loan, – Giving it Out & Getting it Back, Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Legal Education, 2003
- Négociation d’un financement et d’une hypothèque, – Young Bar Association of Montreal, 2000
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Canadian Bar Association
- Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys
- Turnaround Management Association
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1991
- Master in International Business Law, LL.M., London School of Economics and Political Science, 1992
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1990
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2018 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 90 Miller Thomson lawyers across 35 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer review process...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2017 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 79 Miller Thomson lawyers across 30 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These latest rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
Keyvan Nassiry and Maxime Rhéaume author chapter in Commercial Lending Law
Published by the American Bar Association, Commercial Lending Law: A Jurisdiction-By-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, Second Edition is a two-volume guide outlining commercial lending laws for all U.S. states and territories, and Canada. It is a valuable resource for...
Lexpert recognizes 80 Miller Thomson lawyers
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce 80 lawyers across ten of our offices are recognized in the 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as leading practitioners in their field. Published annually since 1997, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized as Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada by Lexpert
Four Miller Thomson lawyers are featured in the 2016 Lexpert US/Canada Cross-Border Guide – Corporate, which profiles Lexpert-ranked lawyers who focus on cross-border Corporate Law and Transactions. The following lawyers are recognized for their expertise: Jennifer Babe, Toronto Todd Bissett, Kitchener-Waterloo Karima...
Lexpert recognizes six Miller Thomson lawyers as global mining leaders
Miller Thomson is pleased to share that six of its lawyers have been recognized in Lexpert’s Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining 2015/2016 edition. Published annually, the guide serves as a key resource to companies seeking to retain the top...
Miller Thomson receives top honours in Chambers Canada
Twelve Miller Thomson lawyers and four practice groups were ranked in the recently published first edition of the Chambers Canada Guide. The Guide ranks leading lawyers and law firms practicing in all provinces and territories across Canada, in over 40...
A record 122 Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada
Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country were today recognized in The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2016. A total of 122 lawyers across various areas of law were recognized for their industry expertise—up from 107 last year. Miller Thomson is...
Jennifer Babe and Keyvan Nassiry speak to the Automotive Finance Customers of Fiserv, Inc.
Jennifer Babe and Keyvan Nassiry speak to the automotive finance customers of Fiserv, Inc., a Fortune 500 fintech, on updates in regulatory compliance.
Keyvan Nassiry speaks at Finance & Security conference
Keyvan Nassiry is a panel presenter at Open Forum’s Finance & Security conference, discussing cross-border financing issues involving collateral located in Canada, US and Latin America.
Keyvan Nassiry co-chairs CLE on cross-border secured lending
Keyvan Nassiry is Program Co-chair and Moderator for the program on “Avoiding the Pitfalls of Cross-border Secured Lending in China, Latin America and Western Europe” at the American Bar Association’s Spring Meeting.
Imran Ahmad and Keyvan Nassiry speak at Asset-Based Lending forum
Imran Ahmad and Keyvan Nassiry speak at the Canadian Institute’s “Asset-Based Lending in a Global Economy” forum. Keyvan is conference co-chair and moderates a panel on “Maximizing International ABL Opportunities (and How to Recognize Opportunities and Avoid Obstacles)”. Imran presents...
Keyvan Nassiry speaks on structuring cross-border collateral
Keyvan Nassiry presents a conference entitled Structuring Cross-Border Collateral: Avoiding the Pitfalls as part of the Inaugural Conference on Asset-Based Lending presented by the Canadian Institute. For more information, please click here.
Structuring Cross-Border Collateral: Avoiding the Pitfalls
Miller Thomson’s Financial Services group hosts a complimentary Breakfast and Panel Discussion. Partner Keyvan Nassiry, from Miller Thomson’s Banking & Financial Services Group, is joined by special guests Shanghai-based Yi Li, a Banking and Financial Services Partner from JunHe Law...
A Canadian Perspective on the Hague Securities Convention
On April 1, 2017, the Hague Convention on the Law Applicable to Certain Rights in Respect of Securities Held with an Intermediary (the “Convention”) became effective in the United States. While Canada has not yet ratified the Convention, it is...
Quebec Commercial Lending Law
Chapter in Commercial Lending Law: A Jurisdiction-by-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, 2nd Edition.
Bank lenders arrange expanded $1.08 billion credit facility for AutoCanada
Counsel to a syndicate of lenders
BEworks joins kyu collective
Counsel to the kyu collective