Juliana Abdo is counsel retained for special projects relating to real estate and finance groups at Miller Thomson.
Juliana practices in the areas of commercial real estate and finance and has been an advisor to many of Canada’s leading real estate corporations and investment banks. Juliana has extensive commercial finance experience acting as lead counsel in connection with some of the country’s largest commercial and entertainment projects.
Juliana has extensive transactional experience as senior advisor on many new development financings as well as re-financings throughout Canada. Notable transactions include the construction financing of the Bay-Adelaide Centre and the Trump Tower in Toronto and the financings of Brookfield Place, First Canadian Place, Suncor Energy Centre, TELUS Garden, Niagara Falls Casino and Eighth Avenue Place.
In addition to Juliana’s experience in commercial finance she has structured finance and asset based lending experience.
- CIBC World Markets and TD Securities Inc., as co-lead agents, in connection with the issue by Brookfield Office Properties Canada of $405 million First Mortgage Bonds for the financing of Bay–Adelaide Centre
- BPO Properties Ltd., along with ownership partners Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Alberta Investment Management Corporation, in connection with the $310 million refinancing of First Canadian Place
- KingSett Real Estate Growth LP No. 3 as part of a joint venture with certain clients of Alberta Investments Management Corp. acquired ING Summit Industrial Fund LP and ING Real Estate Canada LP for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $2 billion.
- Acted for the lender in connection with the credit facility for the financing of the Royal Bank Plaza
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with the credit facility for the construction of the Bay-Adelaide Centre (both the East and West towers)
- Scotiabank in connection with the credit facility for the construction of Brookfield Place, Calgary
- RBC in connection with the $225 million first mortgage green bond financing of TELUS Garden, Vancouver
- Lenders in connection with the $200 million first mortgage financing of Place de Ville I & II, Ottawa
- Acted for the syndicate of lenders in connection with the credit facility for the construction of the Trump Tower
- 130 Bloor CREIT Inc., in connection with the $60 million credit facility provided by CDPQ Mortgage Investment Corporation on the security of a building located in mid-town Toronto at 130 Bloor Street West
- Falls Management Company, in connection with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s $1 billion purchase of the Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort from Falls Management Company.
- Falls Management Company, in connection with the project development of the Niagara Gateway Casino Complex, including the negotiation of a long-term casino concession with Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation and a $700 million secured note offering.
- CDPQ Capital Mortgages, in connection with Borealis Retail REIT’s acquisition of Midtown Plaza Shopping Centre, and the Cornwall Centre, $199 million.
- TD Securities Inc., in connection with the issue by Brookfield Properties Limited of $71 million First Mortgage Bonds secured by the Bay-Wellington Tower, BCE Place, Toronto.
- BNY Trust Company of Canada, as agent, in connection with $310.5 million term credit facility involving Talon International Inc. for the construction of the Trump Tower.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, lead to a syndicate of lenders, in connection with a $420 million term credit facility completed by BPO Properties Ltd. for the construction of the Bay-Adelaide Centre.
- The Great-West Life Assurance Company, London Life Insurance Company and The Canada Life Insurance Company, in connection with approximately $240 million in acquisition financing to Calloway REIT secured by shopping centers across Canada.
- Wachovia Bank, formerly Congress Financial Corporation (Canada), in connection with Movie Gallery Inc. and its Canadian subsidiary. Movie Gallery Canada Inc.’s US$870 million financing with a syndicate of lenders led by the Wachovia Bank, National Association, as U.S. administrative agent, and Congress Financial Corporation (Canada), as Canadian administrative agent.
- Wachovia Capital Finance Corporation Canada, in connection with debt financing provided for a management-led buyout of The Bargain! Shop Holdings from its previous controlling shareholders led by Banyan Capital Group LLC., for an undisclosed amount.
- Wachovia Capital Finance Corporation Canada, in connection with debt financing provided to IMAX Corporation.
- TD Securities Inc., counsel for the lead agent, in connection with the $1.23 billion financing of the acquisition and leaseback of seven federal office properties from the Government of Canada.
- Canada Trust Company, counsel for agent in connection with the $29 million lease/leaseback project of the Orleans Art Centre in Ottawa.
- RBC Life Insurance Company, counsel for the agent in connection with the $11.455 million lease/leaseback project of the Orleans Client Service Centre in Ottawa.
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2001
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1999
- B.Sc., (Hons.), University of Toronto, 1996