Jonathan Tong practices in the areas of corporate finance, securities law and corporate and commercial matters, with a particular emphasis on capital market transactions and capital market regulatory compliance.
Jonathan frequently represents clients ranging from small to large enterprises on public offerings, private placement financings, listing applications, reverse takeovers, proxy battles, continuous disclosure and corporate governance. In addition, he regularly advises entrepreneurs, venture capital investors and start-ups on a wide breadth of legal matters, all with his clients’ best interests and overall business goals in mind.
Jonathan has considerable experience acting for public and private companies from different industries, including esports, real estate, technology, biotech, pharma, life sciences, mining and other resource sectors.
Jonathan is a founder and co-chair of Breakfast of Champions in support of SickKids, which is an annual fundraiser that has raised over $1 million for SickKids Foundation. Additionally, he serves as a member of the Executive Committee of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Foundation’s young professionals group, Game Changers.
Jonathan also serves as an instructor of the Corporate Finance course at Windsor Law School and is a member of the Continuous Disclosure Advisory Committee of the Ontario Securities Commission, which advises staff on the planning, implementation and communication of its continuous disclosure review program, as well as related policy initiatives.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Founder/co-chair, SickKids Activators, a not-for-profit philanthropic and networking organization of young professionals supporting The Hospital for Sick Children, 2012 – present
- Dean’s Gold Key Award, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- Legal & Literary Society Student Honour Award, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- “Investing in Esports”, The Business of Esports & Gaming with the Pros Conference, Toronto, August 15, 2019
- “It’s in the Game: The Esports Legal Playbook“, February 10, 2020
- “Esports: The Next Billion Dollar Industry“, September 2019
- Instructor, “Corporate Finance,” University of Windsor, Faculty of Law, 2016 – present
- Instructor, “Administrative Law”, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, 2012 – 2013
- Board of Directors, MLSE Foundation Game Changers, 2015 – present
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2010
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- B.A. Honours, University of Toronto, 2006