Jennifer Bishop is a Partner in Miller Thomson’s Business Law and Mergers and Acquisitions practice, and is one of the firm’s national leaders for the hospitality industry. Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, as well as providing advice to clients on a broad range of corporate law matters.
Jennifer has experience with transactions in a variety of sectors including retail, hospitality, manufacturing, energy, financial services, transportation, technology, commercial real estate, healthcare, insurance and media. She regularly assists clients in the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements, and provides day to day general and strategic corporate-related advice.
Early in her career, Jennifer was seconded to a multinational oil and gas company, where she acted as counsel on a variety of business law and regulatory matters including corporate transactions, supply chain and distribution activity, marketing initiatives and crisis management.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Recognized as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40, 2010
- Recipient, J.W. Whiteside Award for outstanding commitment and service to the Faculty of Law, Legal Professional and Community, 1999
- Speaker, “Insights from roads well-travelled – A panel of levelers, disruptors and alchemists talks success in navigating advancement in today’s legal environment”, World Women’s Lawyer’s Conference, International Bar Association Conference, London, UK, April, 2018
- Speaker, “Resilience under Pressure, Thriving or Surviving in the Legal Profession”, International Bar Association Conference, Sydney, Australia, October, 2017
- Speaker, “Departures and Lateral Hires of Partners “, International Bar Association Conference, Sydney, Australia, October, 2017
- Speaker, “Law in a changing world – how women can contribute to the innovation of the legal profession”, International Bar Association Conference, Washington, D.C., September, 2016
- Speaker, 3rd Annual “Forward Together” Conference (in association with American Express, Catalyst, Corus, Dentsu Aegis, Facebook, Exact Media, Google, P&G, Pepsi Co, Salesforce and Telus), Toronto, Ontario, May, 2016
- Speaker, “Shaping the Future of the Legal Profession”, 7th World Women Lawyers’ Conference, International Bar Association Conference, Berlin, Germany, April, 2016
- Speaker, “Leading the Change: Women and Men Who Make a Difference,” 6th World Women Lawyers’ Conference, International Bar Association Conference, Paris, France, May, 2014
- Co-Chair, Law Society of Upper Canada’s “Practice Gems: Essentials of the Privately Held Company 2013,” September 26, 2013
- Presenter, “Client Care Best Practices,” 6th Edition Leadership for Women Lawyers, December, 2012
- Lexis PSL – Doing Business in Canada, 2017
- Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), 2017
- Canada chapter in Product Recall: In 26 Jurisdictions Worldwide, Law Business Research, 2015
- Member of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member, Tennis Canada
- Chair of the Board of Directors, The Doug Philpott Inner-City Children’s Tennis Fund
- Member of the Board of Directors, Toronto Swim Club
- Immediate Past President of the Board of Directors, Toronto Lawn Tennis Club
- Member of the Advisory Board, Smiling Land Foundation, 2008 – 2014
- Member of the Board of Directors, Live to Give Relief Organization (Dress for Success), 2009 – 2010
- Officer, Women’s Leadership Group, International Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association (Business Law, Corporate Counsel)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (United States)
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2001
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 1999
- B.A., University of South Florida, 1993
Jennifer Bishop appointed to Tennis Canada Board of Directors
Jennifer Bishop has been named to the Board of Directors for Tennis Canada. She is a former NCAA Division I tennis player for University of South Florida, and has represented Canada at the world championships on the seniors circuit. Read...
Jennifer Bishop appointed to International Bar Association committee
Jennifer Bishop, a partner in the Toronto office of Miller Thomson’s Business Law Group and Chair of the firm’s National Marketing, Advertising and Regulatory Group, has been appointed to the Women Lawyers’ Interest (WIG) Group of the International Bar Association....
Jennifer Bishop contributes to Getting the Deal Through-Product Recall 2014
Miller Thomson congratulates Jennifer Bishop on the publication of her Canada Chapter, which appears in the newly released book Getting the Deal Through-Product Recall 2014. Special thanks to Barbara Prikrylova, student-at-law, for her invaluable assistance in the preparation of this article.
Jennifer Bishop, together with other members of the Smiling Land Foundation, raise $250,000 for Ronald McDonald House Newfoundland and Labrador.
Jennifer Bishop speaks at “Leading the Change: Women and Men Who Make a Difference,” 6th World Women Lawyers’ Conference, International Bar Association Conference.
Practice Gems: Essentials of the Privately Held Company
Jennifer Bishop is chairing, along with Lyne Gaulin, the Law Society of Upper Canada’s event “Practice Gems: Essentials of the Privately Held Company 2013“ James Fraser will be presenting on “Tax Considerations When Structuring the Company”. Max Spearn will be...
Jennifer Bishop and Lyne Gaulin are chairing the Law Society of Upper Canada’s event “Practice Gems: Essentials of the Privately Held Company 2013” on September 26, 2013.
Jennifer Bishop will be speaking at a Leadership for Women Lawyers event titled “Successful Practice in Today’s Business Environment”
Jennifer will be speaking to top-level women leaders from different industries on effective client care in the current economic climate. Her talk will focus on understanding a client’s business, their needs and the environment within which they operate in order...
Jennifer Bishop, Partner and Smiling Land Foundation Founding Board Member is proud to announce that General Rick Hillier is confirmed as the Honorary Chair for MT Sponsored 2010 Fundraiser
For more information, click here.
Pitfalls of Commercial Contracts
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our email list and to receive information about future programs.
Doing Business in Canada
Lexis® PSL is a major new practical guidance product for the legal profession and in-house market.
Advertising, Marketing and Product Regulatory Compliance
Chapter 10 in Miller Thomson’s Business Laws of Canada, 2015 edition.
Product Recall In 26 Jurisdictions Worldwide: Canada
Law Business Research
Canada’s Proposed Consumer Product Safety Act: Bill C-6
North American Free Trade & Investment Report
Crown Holdings completes acquisition of Signode Industrial Group Holdings
Canadian counsel to Crown Holdings, Inc.
Marriott International completes $335 million sale of Sheraton Centre
Canadian counsel to Marriott International, Inc.
Cyclica announces close of Series A2 financing round
Counsel to Cyclica Inc.
Extended Stay Hotels sells its Canadian hotels in $76 million transaction
Counsel to Extended Stay America, Inc.
Ranir acquires BrushPoint
Counsel to BrushPoint
AJB Software Design acquired by VeriFone Systems in US$75 million cross-border transaction
Counsel to AJB Software Design, Inc.