Jeff practices corporate/commercial and information technology law with a focus on the payments and Fintech industries. He has acted for payment networks, banks, merchants, processors, start-ups, service providers and others in a wide variety of commercial transactions. Jeff also provides regulatory advice and assists with customer-facing issues.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Jeff spent ten years as in-house counsel at one of Canada’s largest banks where he was lead counsel to the bank’s credit card business.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Named one of Canada’s top 40 under 40 in-house counsel by Lexpert magazine in 2005
- Advising credit union with respect to regulatory issues, consumer agreements and disclosures for a new credit card program
- Advising Fintech regarding anti-money laundering issues associated with crypto currency business
- Advising credit union in contractual negotiations with a credit card processor
- Advising merchant with respect to corporate cards program
- Advising merchant with respect to joint venture with a Fintech company
- Advising bank with respect to its services agreement with a loyalty program provider
- Advising Fintech company on adapting foreign payments service for use in Canada
- Advising Fintech company in the establishment of a loyalty platform
- Advising bank in outsourcing of card processing functions
- Advising bank with respect to compliance with consumer disclosure provisions in the Bank Act
- Advising payment network with respect to its contractual relationships with card issuers
- Advising payment processor with respect to compliance with the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada
- Advising digital wallet provider in relation to commercial contracts with wallet participants
- Advising Fintech company with respect to its joint venture with a large financial institution
- Advising Fintech company with respect to payment card network rules and compliance with regulatory matters
- Advising payment processor in BIN licensing arrangement with large financial institution
- Advising bank with respect to financial incentives and network participation agreement with payment network
- Advising bank with respect to its co-branded card relationship with a merchant
- Presenter, MultiLaw Fintech Webinar, November 2017
- Panelist, “Blockchain, Crypto currencies and ICOs”, Miller Thomson’s Market Close seminar, October, 2017
- Panelist, “The Fintech Revolution Evolution”, IT.Can Annual Conference, October 2017
- Panelist, “Payments Compliance in Canada”, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February 2016
- Speaker, “Mobile Payments & Payments Standards: Structuring the Deal”, The 2015 Information Technology Law Spring Forum, May 2015
- Panelist, “Mobile Payments: What you Need to Know Now”, The Canadian Institute’s 10th Payments Forum, February 2015
- Panelist, “Juggling the Evolving Regulatory Landscape in Payments”, Canadian Payments Association, Payments Panorama 2014, June 2014
- Speaker, “Regulatory Framework for Mobile Payments” and “Trends in Mobile Payments”, Canadian IT Law Association, The 2014 Information Technology Law Spring Forum, June 2014
- Speaker, “Current Issues and Trends in Mobile Payments”, Canadian IT Law Association, Seventeenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, October, 2013
- Panelist, “Compliance and Legislation Landscape”, Payments Exchange 6th Annual Prepaid and Payments Retreat Canada, June, 2013
- Co-Chair, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February 2013
- Speaker, “Legal and Regulatory Issues in Emerging Payment Technologies, Including Mobile Payments”, The Canadian Institute’s Regulatory Compliance for Financial Institutions Conference, November 2012
- Speaker and Panel Moderator, “Developing Business Strategies to Provide the Best Opportunities for All Players in the Mobile Payments Value Chain”, The Canadian Institute’s Canadian Payments Innovation Conference, April 2012
- Speaker, “Advertising and Marketing Financial Products”, The Canadian Institute’s Advertising and Marketing Law Conference, January, 2012
- Speaker and Panel Moderator, “How to Successfully Integrate the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada into Your Compliance Strategies”, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February, 2012
- Speaker, “Identifying Emerging Trends and Clearing Compliance Hurdles in the Payment Card Industry”, The Canadian Institute’s Regulatory Compliance for Financial Institutions Conference, November 2011
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1995
- LLB, Queen’s University, 1993
- B.Comm, Queen’s University, 1990
- B.A., Queen’s University, 1990
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Jeffrey Roode presents at FinTech webinar
Jeffrey Roode is a panellist at Multilaw’s FinTech webinar, presenting an overview of FinTech in Canada, including: How does the banking industry differ in Canada from the U.S. and how has that affected FinTech? Who are the key regulators in...
“Market Close” Cocktail – Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and ICO
You are invited to attend Miller Thomson’s “Market Close” Cocktail Series featuring key industry participants presented by the Capital Markets & Securities Group. Come learn more on recent trends and upcoming legal changes and what they mean for Canadian businesses....
FCAC Releases Report on the Retail Sales Practices of Canada’s Big Six Banks
On March 20th 2018, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) released a report regarding the sales practices of Canada’s “big six” banks (BMO, Bank of Nova Scotia, CIBC, National Bank, RBC, and TD). The FCAC is the regulator responsible...
Changes Proposed to the Oversight of Retail Payments in Canada
This summer the federal Department of Finance released a discussion paper regarding the oversight framework for retail payment systems in Canada. The paper proposes a number of changes to the way the retail payment systems in Canada are regulated. These...
Conexus Credit Union acquires credit card receivables from CUETS Financial
Counsel to Conexus