Ivan Mitchell Merrow is a litigation lawyer who specializes in commercial litigation, construction litigation and dispute resolution, contract and shareholder disputes.
When his clients run into roadblocks, Ivan finds a way forward. Whether the problem is getting paid, enforcing an agreement, recovering from a loss, defending a law suit, or appealing a judgment, Ivan designs solutions to meet his client’s expectations.
Ivan’s practice focuses on the following areas:
Commercial Litigation: solve business problems with the law using negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or the courts.
Contract Disputes: pursue or defend breach of contract claims and enforce agreements.
Construction Litigation and Dispute Resolution: provide legal services suited to the construction and development context, for example, recover from improper tender awards, navigate liens, contract breach and debt recovery issues for owners, developers, builders, suppliers and others.
Shareholder Disputes: resolve disputes between shareholders and business partners, enforce shareholder oppression remedies and recover assets.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson LLP, Ivan articled at a well-respected Toronto law firm where he gained significant hands-on litigation experience in the business and construction industry. He has appeared before Masters and Judges in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and attended hearings before the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Ontario Municipal Board. While in law school, Ivan founded the student organization Law Students for Innovation and Technology.
Ivan is an active member of the legal community. He writes about issues facing the legal profession in the Ontario Bar Association’s JUST. magazine, Canadian Lawyer 4Students and on his website IvanMerrow.com. He actively seeks out opportunities to help others find their next opportunity.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Executive, Young Lawyers’ Division, Ontario Bar Association, 2018 – 2019
- C. Thomas Asplund Memorial Award in Legal Ethics, June 2015
- McCarthy Tetrault LLP Scholarship in Legal Ethics, June 2015
- Derek Russell Award for Excellence in Operations & Information Technology, June 2014
- The Beresford-Knox Scholarship in Law, September 2011
- Web Objective, Inc. v. SociaLabra, Inc., 2018 ONSC 664 (CanLII): successfully defended against a securities class action for primary market misrepresentation, resulting in a complete dismissal against Miller Thomson LLP’s clients.
- Hussaini v Checroune, 2017 ONSC 2435 (CanLII): successfully dismissed a summary judgment motion on all counts that threatened to end a multi-million dollar real estate lawsuit from an uncompleted purchase and sale transaction.
- Speaker, “Divine Discoveries: Building a Great Case”, OBA Young Lawyers Division Program, Toronto, ON, March 1, 2019
- “Pay Me Back in Crypto: Surveying Enforcement for Cryptocurrency Litigation in Canada” Proof of Stake, June 13, 2018
- “Starting Your Own Business: Risks and Legal Considerations”, Vaughan Business Entrepreneurship Center’s Legal and Operations Seminar, March 8, 2018
- “Canada Prompt Payment Act Update: Senate Approved”, Breaking Ground, May 17, 2017
- “Prompt Payment for Federal Projects”, Construction Canada, February 28, 2017
- “Legal Issues in Public Construction”, Federated Press’s 6th Annual Procurement Law Course
- Volunteer Host, Queen’s Faculty of Law Shadow Program, 2018
- Volunteer Startup Mentor, Y2 Entrepreneurship Conference, 2018 – Present
- Presenter, Vaughan Business Entrepreneurship Center (VBEC), 2018
- Volunteer Mentor, COSTI Immigrant Services, 2018 – Present
- York Region Law Association
- Toronto Construction Association
- Advocates’ Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2016
- Juris Doctor, Queen’s Faculty of Law, 2015
- Master of Business Administration, Smith School of Business, 2014
- Honours Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and Business, University of Waterloo, 2011