Holiday Powell is a Legal Consultant with Miller Thomson’s Vancouver office, and a member of the California Bar. Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Holiday was Senior Counsel at a full-service law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area. After 14 years of practice in Los Angeles and the Bay Area, she moved to Vancouver, where she intends to continue her litigation practice upon becoming a member of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Holiday’s experience includes commercial, real estate, product liability, and other civil litigation. She has represented Fortune 500 companies, privately held companies and individual clients from a variety of industries, including but not limited to life science, automotive, transportation, technology and insurance sectors. As an experienced litigator in California, she has represented clients in class actions, multidistrict litigation (MDL), and individual cases across the United States in state and federal courts. She has managed all aspects of state and federal court litigation, including pre-litigation claim investigations and resolutions, discovery and motion practice, mediations, arbitrations, trials and appeals.
She brings her considerable expertise and collaborative approach to Miller Thomson, where she provides responsive, timely and cost-effective service in working with clients to achieve their goals.
*Admitted to the California State Bar; not licensed to practice law in British Columbia.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Super Lawyers’ “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California”, Los Angeles Magazine, 2013 – 2016
- Southern California Super Lawyer “Rising Star”, 2013 – 2016
- Super Lawyers’ “Top Women Attorneys in Northern California”, Los Angeles Magazine, 2015 – 2016
- Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2015 – 2016
- Author, “The New FDA Nutrition Facts Label: Sweet For Consumers, But Not So Sweet For Manufacturers,” Defense Comment, Association of Defense Counsel, Fall 2016
- “Rainmaking in a Competitive Environment: What a Young Lawyer Can Do to Start Building a Book of Business,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Committee Newsletter, Spring 2014 & ASCDCVerdict magazine, 2013 Vol. 3
- Co-author, “Point-of-Use Devices Raise Specter of Liability of Water Providers,” American Water Works Association California-Nevada Section, SOURCE Magazine, Vol.26 Number 4, Fall 2012
- Morris Polich & Purdy LLP Email Alert, “Court of Appeal Upholds Component Part Supplier Defense,” February 9, 2012
- “The Road to Sovereignty in the Pacific: A Framework for Pacific Island Development Policy.” New Zealand Center for Strategic Studies, Wellington, NZ, 2003
- Product Liability Conference 2019 , DRI, Austin, TX, February 6, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Using Social Media to Defend Cases,” 57th Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California & Nevada Annual Meeting, December 9, 2016.
- Presenter, “Proactive Risk Management for Satellite Developers in Today’s Product Liability Minefield, 30th Annual AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, August 9, 2016
- Presenter, “Results of the Law Firm Management Survey,” Association of Defense Counsel of California & Nevada’s 2015 Business of Law Seminar, August 2015
- Chair, Product Liability Committee, Class Action and Mass Tort Special Litigation Group, Defense Research Institute
Bar admissions & education
- California Bar, 2006
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 2006
- B.A. (cum laude), University of California Los Angeles, 2002