Holiday Powell is a lawyer in Miller Thomson’s Vancouver office, and a member of the British Columbia Law Society and California State Bar. Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Holiday was Senior Counsel at a full-service law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Holiday’s practice experience includes commercial, real estate, product liability, and other civil litigation. She has represented Fortune 500 companies, privately held companies and individual clients from a variety of industries, including but not limited to life science, automotive, transportation, technology and insurance sectors. As an experienced litigator, she has represented clients in class actions, multidistrict litigation (MDL), and individual cases across the United States in state and federal courts. She has managed all aspects of litigation, including pre-litigation claim investigations and resolutions, discovery and motion practice, mediations, arbitrations, trials and appeals.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Super Lawyers’ “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California”, Los Angeles Magazine, 2013 – 2016
- Southern California Super Lawyer “Rising Star”, 2013 – 2016
- Super Lawyers’ “Top Women Attorneys in Northern California”, Los Angeles Magazine, 2015 – 2016
- Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2015 – 2016
- Author, “The New FDA Nutrition Facts Label: Sweet For Consumers, But Not So Sweet For Manufacturers,” Defense Comment, Association of Defense Counsel, Fall 2016
- “Rainmaking in a Competitive Environment: What a Young Lawyer Can Do to Start Building a Book of Business,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Committee Newsletter, Spring 2014 & ASCDCVerdict magazine, 2013 Vol. 3
- Co-author, “Point-of-Use Devices Raise Specter of Liability of Water Providers,” American Water Works Association California-Nevada Section, SOURCE Magazine, Vol.26 Number 4, Fall 2012
- Morris Polich & Purdy LLP Email Alert, “Court of Appeal Upholds Component Part Supplier Defense,” February 9, 2012
- “The Road to Sovereignty in the Pacific: A Framework for Pacific Island Development Policy.” New Zealand Center for Strategic Studies, Wellington, NZ, 2003
- Product Liability Conference 2019 , DRI, Austin, TX, February 6, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Using Social Media to Defend Cases,” 57th Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California & Nevada Annual Meeting, December 9, 2016.
- Presenter, “Proactive Risk Management for Satellite Developers in Today’s Product Liability Minefield, 30th Annual AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, August 9, 2016
- Presenter, “Results of the Law Firm Management Survey,” Association of Defense Counsel of California & Nevada’s 2015 Business of Law Seminar, August 2015
- Vice-Chair of Marketing, Product Liability Committee, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2022
- California Bar, 2006
- Certificate of Qualification, National Committee on Accreditation – Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2022
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 2006
- B.A. (cum laude), University of California Los Angeles, 2002