Harold Cares restricts his practice to exclusively offering mediation services. Prior to that, Harold Cares was an experienced personal injury lawyer with a special expertise in negligence law relating to personal injury claims that arose from motor vehicle accidents on the King's Highways of Ontario and on regional and municipal roads. Since his call to the bar in 1977, Harold had continued to act for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation through a succession of insurers. That work took him around the province defending the Ontario government in claims involving highway non-repair and highway liability.
Harold’s defence of claims regarding highways and roads not only made him an expert in the field of negligence law and personal injury, but also gave him an understanding of every facet of highway and bridge design, construction, repair, and maintenance relating to our provincial, regional and municipal road systems.
Harold also represented insurers of automobiles and motorcycles, as well as defence representation in cases involving police services, professional liability, products liability, and occupiers’ liability.
Harold prides himself on his extensive preparation of matters, which permits him to identify, analyze, understand, and isolate the relevant issues. In addition, he strives to inform his mediation clients, particularly personal injury plaintiffs, about these issues in a simple and understandable manner.
He ensures that his mediation clients receive expert, practical, professional mediation services.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Personal Injury Litigation; Insurance Law, 2013 – 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Commercial Insurance Litigation, 2012 – 2015, 2017, 2018
- Speaks at continuing legal education programs on mediation strategies and practice techniques.
- Prior lecturer to all sections of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and to Regional and Municipal Governments regarding actions in highway liability and non-repair claims for highway design, construction, repair and maintenance.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- The Advocates’ Society
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1977
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1975
- B.A., York University, 1972