Gregory E. Murphy is a senior lawyer with more than 30 years of experience in estate planning, risk management, and dispute resolution including dozens of trials.
Greg holds an M.B.A. and spent two years in executive government as Associate Deputy Minister with the Saskatchewan provincial government. His broad range of personal, corporate, and public life experiences include being a founding member of a professional association, a recreational non-profit corporation, and multiple for-profit corporations. Greg has also held governance and leadership roles at established institutions, such as the University of Regina.
These decades of professional involvement in dispute resolution and related experiences make Greg especially well qualified to act as a trusted adviser, to anticipate and avoid trouble before it happens, and when it does happen, to resolve matters by collaboration, negotiation, or third-party determination.
Greg has expertise and experience in the resolution of a diverse range of disputes. He has assisted clients to obtain fair and just compensation for land lost to expropriation. He has represented clients affected by termination of employment, breach of contract, defective products, personal injury, professional negligence, and shoddy or defective building construction. He has negotiated and litigated relationship-based disputes including disputes between shareholders, will challenges, challenges to estate administration, and family law matters resulting from the breakdown of spousal relationships. His criminal cases have included successful jury defences of rape and insurance fraud, and many other criminal code and drug offences. He has litigated criminal and civil cases, jury and non-jury, in and before Saskatchewan Provincial Court, Saskatchewan and Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, and numerous administrative tribunals.
Greg has extensive experience in the following areas:
Personal injury litigation: involved in dozens of cases ranging from soft tissue injuries and scarring to critical illness and brain injury.
Expropriation compensation: represented clients in multiple resolved and ongoing cases.
Wills and estate planning and administration: advised individuals and families on effective intergenerational transfers of property, minimizing potential for disputes, and resolving disputes when they do arise.
Estate litigation: experienced with Family Property Act and Dependents Relief applications, will validity, undue influence, and testamentary capacity.
Product liability litigation: acted in cases involving food poisoning, industrial tank failure, and automated dairy equipment malfunction.
Construction litigation: involved in multiple cases concerning building foundations and expansive clay soils.
Family law: experienced in all aspects including interspousal agreements, property divisions, custody, support, and access matters.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Past Chair, University of Regina, Board of Governors
- Past Chair, National Association of University Board Chairs and Secretaries
- Past President, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Past District Governor of American Trial Lawyers Association
- Greg was invited by the Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench to speak to the en banc meeting of Court of Queen’s Bench Justices on the topic of the role of the Court under No Fault legislation.
- Greg has delivered presentations and papers for the Law Society of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association.
- Member, Board of Directors, Katepwa Beach Golf Club Inc.
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Globe Theatre, Regina
- Past Member, Appeal Committee, Water Polo Canada
- Past Member, Saskatchewan Film Classification Appeal Committee
- Past Board member (Green Committee Chair), Wascana Country Club
- Past Board Member, Saskatchewan Squash Association
- Coached minor hockey
- Competed at Canadian National Squash Championship
- Past Vice President, Brecknock Brewing Ltd.
- Founder and legal counsel for Crossroads Inland Terminal Inc.
- Designer and construction manager for golf course at Katepwa Beach Golf Club
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers of Saskatchewan
- Member, Collaborative Lawyers of Saskatchewan
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1982
- B.A. (philosophy), University of Saskatchewan, 1978
- LL.B, University of Saskatchewan, 1981
- M.B.A., Kenneth Levene Graduate School of Business, University of Regina, 2009