George is an associate in our Litigation Group in Vancouver. His practice focuses on defence litigation, including commercial matters, professional liability, construction projects, and class actions. He represents professionals, corporations, and insurers in complex, high-stakes disputes.
George provides steadfast and strategic counsel that structure results to fit the desired outcomes of his clients. His pragmatic approach appreciates the various risks associated with litigation, while achieving cost and time effective results. He has represented clients before the British Columbia Supreme Court, British Columbia Provincial Court, the Ontario Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and the Ontario Court of Justice. He has extensive experience in successful resolving matters by negotiation, at mediation, and in advance of trial.
George’s litigation experience includes:
- Insurance defence: George represents a variety of professionals, including engineers, architects, healthcare professionals, and others regarding professional liability. He also represents manufacturers and multi-national retailers with respect to product liability and the defence of claims involving property and bodily injury.
- Commercial litigation: George represents and advises, individuals and corporations, with respect to breach of contract, contract interpretation, contract frustration, reputational risk, and leasing issues.
- Construction litigation: George has represented, developers, municipalities, tradespeople, and contractors in disputes involving breach of contract and negligence.
Prior to a career in law, George was a City Councillor and Regional District Director in Nanaimo, British Columbia. In 2016, the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia presented him with the British Columbia Community Achievement Award for his extensive and longstanding volunteer work aimed at making British Columbia a better place.
- Summit Leasing Corporation v ICBC, 2021 BCPC
- Frankson v Neely, 2020 BCSC 786
- 17-009034 v Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2019 (ON LAT)
- Co-presenter, “Environmental Coverage and Liability Issues”, Miller Thomson client presentation, February 22, 2022
- “The enforceability of class action waivers: Are they fair game or unconscionable and contrary to public policy?”, Miller Thomson Lloyd’s Brief: Canadian Legal Perspectives Newsletter, October 2021
- Panelist, Canadian Defence Lawyers, Discussion on Concussion – Rowan’s Law, October 24, 2018
- Governor, Vancouver Island University Board of Governors, 2021 – Present
- President, Literacy Central Vancouver Island, 2020 – Present
- Director, Nanaimo Art Gallery, 2018 – 2021
- Member, Ontario Just Education Network, 2016 – 2019
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Law Society of British Columbia
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2019
- Ontario Bar, 2019
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2018
- University of St. Gallen, 2017
- Bachelor of Arts, Vancouver Island University, 2015
- Criminology Diploma, Vancouver Island University, 2013