Francis Trifiro has an active banking and financial services practice. He represents Canadian and foreign lenders and borrowers involved in syndicated loans, project financings, asset-based financings, acquisition financings, and other private funding transactions. Francis is responsible for negotiating, preparing, and implementing various aspects of these transactions, such as credit agreements, intercreditor agreements, sureties, and refinancing and debt restructuring documentation.
Financial institutions and companies regularly call upon Francis to negotiate ISDA agreements, the schedules to those agreements, and credit support agreements. He also advises his clients on a wide range of derivative instruments, specifically interest rate and crosscurrency swaps, futures contracts, and foreign exchange agreements.
- Advisor to a Schedule I bank in connection with the provision of credit facilities to a Canadian insurance company to finance the acquisition of a Saskatchewan insurance brokerage, September 2016.
- Advisor to Pneus Unimax Ltd., Distribution Pneus RT Ltd., Services de Pneus Desharnais Inc. and Pneus Ratté Inc. with respect to the creation of a strategic partnership and related financings with one of Canada’s leading banks, August 2016
- Advisor to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec with respect to its $18 million investment in Moment Factory, April 2016.
- Advisor to Groupe Marcelle Inc. in its acquisition of Lise Watier Cosmétiques, restoring the company to Quebec-based ownership and becoming the largest Canadian-owned company in the beauty care products industry, February 2016.
- Advisor to Knowlton Development Corporation with regards to financing arrangements with senior and subordinate lenders for the acquisition of Cosmetic Technologies, October 2015.
- Advisor to Knowlton Development Corporation with regards to financing arrangements with senior and subordinate lenders for the acquisition of Kolmar Laboratories Inc. and to Acupac Packaging Inc., October 2015.
- Advisor to Novacap with regards to financing arrangements with a banking syndicate for the acquisition of an important part of Nitrex Métal Inc., September 2015.
- Advisor to D-BOX Technologies Inc. with regards to a $5 million financing from the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, August 2015.
- Advisor to Knowlton Development Corporation with regards to financing arrangements with senior and subordinate lenders for the acquisition of ChemAid Laboratories Inc., December 2014.
- Advisor to Kemourmedic Acquisition Inc., wholly-owned subsidiary of Groupe Kemourmedic Inc., with regards to the financing of the acquisition of all outstanding shares of Groupe OPMEDIC Inc. for more than $50 million and its privatization, November 2013.
- Advisor to a banking syndicate in relation to the financing of the acquisition of Vogue Optical Inc. assets by New Look Eyewear Inc., which provided a term acquisition facility of up to $65 million and a $10 million revolving facility, November 2013.
- Advisor to Groupe CGI Inc. with regards to bank loans granted by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, the National Bank of Canada and the Toronto-Dominion Bank under several term credit facilities amounting to £1.245 billion (CA$2 billion), and by a syndicate of lenders under the existing revolving credit facility of CA$1.5 billion with respect to the acquisition of Logica plc by Groupe CGI Inc. for £1.7 billion, August 2012.
- Advisor to a banking syndicate with regards to the implementation of syndicated credit facilities of $400 million offered to WSP Canada Inc. (formerly GENIVAR Inc.), and partly used for the acquisition of WSP Group plc, June 2012.
- Advisor to Atrium Innovations Inc. in the amendment and renewal of a US$325 million multicurrency senior secured revolving credit facility, November 2011.
- Advisor to the banking syndicate led by the National Bank of Canada as administrative agent for the lending syndicate and for the National Bank Financial Markets and HSBC Canada as co-leader with regards to the implementation of syndicated credit facilities of $250 million offered to 5N Plus Inc., August 2011.
- Advisor to banking syndicate led by National Bank Financial Inc., World markets, Citigroup Inc. and RBC Capital Markets with regards to the implementation of syndicated credit facilities of $1.35 billion offered to Bombardier, June 2011.
- Advisor to the Société de vélo en libre-service in an agreement with Serco Limited regarding public transportation services in London, February 2010.
- Advisor to the Société de vélo en libre-service with regards to its financing banking services in Canada, May 2011.
- Advisor to the banking syndicate in the implementation of a letter of credit facility of US$600 million offered to Bombardier, July 2009.
- Advisor to the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and other lenders with regards to a 5-year loan agreement of $100 million with Transcontinental Inc., May 2009.
- Advisor to various parties during the restructuration by the Pan-Canadian Investors Committee on $32 billion of ABCP issued by third parties, January 2009.
- Advisor to Prestige Télécom Inc. with regards to it’s financing for the acquisition of Radian Services en Communication (Canada) for a total of $20 million, December 2008.
- Transfer of a Business : How to Prepare for the Inevitable, Miller Thomson’s Business Law Conference, October 25, 2016
- “Négociation avec les compagnies émettrices de cautionnements d’exécution”, 10th Annual Conference on securities from Insight, December 2010.
- The Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2004
- LL. B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2002
- BAA, Université de Sherbrooke, 1999