Eva Schmieg is one of Canada’s preeminent entertainment lawyers. She is internationally recognized for her expertise in financing film, television, new media, and other productions. Eva works with major banks and studios as well as independent producers and documentary makers and has a proven track record in completing complex international co-productions.
In addition to financing film and television productions, Eva also represents producers in a variety or production-related matters including talent contracts and negotiations, writer’s agreements, production contracts, errors and omissions insurance matters, and intellectual property issues. She advises producers on how to structure their transactions to obtain assistance from various government tax credit programs and funding agencies.
Eva’s corporate law experience involves counselling clients on the formation of appropriate business organizations, general financing and securitization considerations, and intellectual property issues concerning technology transfer.
Eva holds Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Law degrees from the University of British Columbia. Before joining Miller Thomson, Eva was a partner in another major national law firm where she primarily practised entertainment law.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Entertainment Law, 2006-2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Entertainment Law
- Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment – Entertainment Law, 2014-2015
- Best Lawyers in Canada “Lawyer of the Year”, Entertainment Law, 2015
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide for Technology, Media & Telecommunications, 2015-2016
- Guest Lecturer, University of British Columbia Law School
- Guest Lecturer, Capilano University
- Speaker, various film industry trade forums
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 1991
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1990
- B.Sc., University of British Columbia, 1982