Eric Kleine is a partner in Miller Thomson LLP’s Business Law Practice Group in Toronto. Eric’s practice is focused on both domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. In addition, Eric provides counsel in respect of corporate finance matters, including debt and equity offerings, and general corporate matters, including business formation, complex reorganizations, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and corporate governance.
Eric has experience in a variety of industries including technology, cannabis, financial services, entertainment and media, food and beverage, automotive and real estate.
Eric currently sits on the board of the Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce and has sat on the board of numerous not-for profit organizations in the past. Further, Eric is actively involved in the firm’s pro bono clinic and speaks at various seminars and continuing education programs.
Eric is licensed to practice law in both Canada (Ontario) and the United States (New York).
- Acted for Visa Canada Corporation, which provided financial support to Air Canada together with The Toronto-Dominion Bank and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, in connection with Air Canada’s acquisition of Aimia Canada Inc. for approximately $2.4 billion.
- Acted for Flexiti Financial Inc., a fintech company controlled by Globalive Capital Inc., in connection with its acquisition of The Toronto-Dominion Bank’s Canadian private label credit card portfolio for approximately $250 million.
- Acted for a financing company in respect of the sale of its portfolio for approximately $100 million.
- Acted as Canadian counsel for publically listed CentralNic Group PLC in connection with its acquisition of the Hexonet Group.
- Acted for issuer in connection with its $55 million secured debt offering.
- Acted for client in respect of its sale of assets to an auto manufacturer for approximately $630 million.
- Acted for client in relation to a $30 million delayed draw term loan facility.
- Acted for BPA Financial Group Limited in relation to a share sale to publically listed People Corporation for approximately $18.2 million.
- Acted for US-based NOWDiagnostics Inc., a manufacturer and seller of unique blood-based rapid tests, in connection with its acquisition of ZBx Corporation.
- Member of the Board of Directors, The Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Guest Lecturer, Law and Business Department, Ryerson University
- Volunteer Lawyer, Ryerson Pro Bono Legal Clinic, Ryerson University
- Volunteer, Ontario Bar Association/Ontario Justice Education Network
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Future Possibilities for Kids
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Swedish-Canadian Chamber of Commerce
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2014
- New York Bar, 2018
- J.D., Western Michigan University, 2012
- LL.M, Corporate Law and Finance, Western Michigan University, 2013
- B.A., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2008