Domenic Presta provides clients with creative solutions and expert advice on technology-related issues arising from corporate commercial matters.
Helping clients stay ahead of emerging industry trends, his practice is focused on commercial transactions involving information technology, with particular expertise in the areas of Open Data, Consumer-Directed Finance, Bank-Fintech collaborations, regulatory compliance, and data security.
Notably, Domenic has expertise in data security and regulatory compliance within the financial services industry, having previously worked as senior IT counsel for a top six Canadian multinational bank. This gives him unique insight into the needs of clients from across the financial services sector, as he guides them through the complexities of innovation and technology that continue to transform the financial services industry.
Domenic also advises on all other aspects of technology law, including outsourcing arrangements, complex IT services agreements, contracts for hosted applications and software licensing agreements for multinational financial institutions, insurance companies, and pension plans. He has the knowledge and experience that clients demand and require in order to successfully compete and evolve in an ever-changing commercial landscape.
Domenic is an accomplished professional with over 20 years of experience both in-house as well as in private practice in top tier Canadian institutions and law firms. He is a trusted advisor to high profile public and private sector institutional clients.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Leading lawyer in the area of privacy and data security law
- The Legal 500 – Canada, Recommended: Corporate and M&A
- Speaker, Open Banking Expo Canada, November, 2020
- Author, Fintech Blog: Fintech Regulatory Developments: 2019 Year in Review, January, 2020
- Author, Fintech Blog: The Clearing House Releases Model Agreement for Sharing Financial Data, December, 2019
- Author, Senate Open Banking Report Calls for Swift Government Actions, June, 2019
- Author, Fintech Blog: UK Open Banking Implementation Entity Report Released
- Member of the Advisory Committee – The Prosperity Project
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2000
- LL.B., Queen’s University Faculty of Law, 1998
- B.A. (with Distinction), University of Toronto