Derek Hoffman is a corporate-commercial lawyer advising public, private and government entities in a range of industries including mining, energy, agriculture, technology, financial services and commercial. Derek also previously worked as in-house counsel for a large diversified global mining company.
Derek provides strategic and legal advice including advising on corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, divestments, project development & construction, real estate, procurement, transportation, aboriginal, corporate finance & securities, regulatory compliance, anti-trust/competition, anti-corruption and intellectual property matters.
- “Community Development Projects: When Helping the Community May Harm Your Business” (October 2017)
- “Corporate Governance – Directors and Officers Duties and Liabilities” (June 2017)
- “Is that Gift a Bribe? How to Avoid Violating Anti-Corruption Laws” (June 2017)
- “Top 10 Legal Issues Impacting Small, Medium and Startup Business” (May 2017)
- “Assetizing Innovation – Using IP to Finance Your Technology Business” (May 2017)
- “Avoiding Corrupt Practices: Risks of Using Intermediaries” (April 2017)
- “Director Responsibilities and Liabilities” (March 2017)
- “Anti-Corruption Regulation in Canada: Why It Matters for Your Business” (January 2017)
- “Ethical Issues for In-House Counsel” (May 2016)
- “Contract Formation and Administration” (March 2016)
- “Preventing Issues When Expanding to the US – Competition & Corruption” (March 2016)
- “Competition and Corruption: Risk Identification and Management” (May 2014)
- “Competition Violations: Risk to Business” (March 2014)
- “First Nations Oil & Gas Projects” (November 2012)
- “Doing Deals: Agriculture and Bio-Technology” (September 2011)
- “Protection of Intellectual Property” (August 2011)
- “Planning for Growth: Legal Issues Impacting Business Growth” (May 2011)
- “Equity Financing” (March 2008)
- “First Nations Commercial Financing” (March 2006)
- “UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods” (March 2006)
- Member, Board of Directors, Prairie Diagnostic Services
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association Business Law North (2012-2017)
- Chair, 5th Annual Saskatchewan Mining Conference (April 2015)
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association Securities Law North Section (2012-2013)
- Board of Directors, Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs Inc. (2006-2010)
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2006
- Registered Trademark Agent, 2010
- J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2005
- B. Comm. (with Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 2004
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Derek Hoffman is panelist for discussion on Compliance and Ethics
This panel discussion, hosted by the Institute of Corporate Directors focuses on best practices for a corporate compliance and ethics program, with practical perspectives from private and public companies, from both in-house and external counsel. For more information visit their website.
Derek Hoffman hosts Mining Session at SREDA Forum 2018
Derek Hoffman emcee’s the Mining Session at the 2018 SREDA Forum: Remember the boom? What’s next in mining for 2018-2020.
Derek Hoffman is a panelist at the CALREI Mining Law Conference
Derek Hoffman is a panelist at the CALREI Mining Law Conference, a PDAC-affiliated event. Derek presented at the following sessions: Stakeholder Engagement – Social License to Operate Anti-corruption – Implementing an Effective Compliance Program
Derek Hoffman speaks to members of Ideas Inc.
Derek Hoffman presents an overview of Miller Thomson’s services to members of Ideas Inc., a business incubator for entrepreneurs in Saskatoon.
Miller Thomson 2018 Saskatoon Construction Law Conference
Please join us on Friday, April 13, 2018, for a half day conference intended for all construction and real estate sector stakeholders and keep apprised of the most recent developments in your industry. Our speakers will discuss related industry topics...
Miller Thomson 2018 Regina Construction Law Conference
Please join us on Thursday, April 12, 2018, for a daylong conference intended for all construction and real estate sector stakeholders and keep apprised of the most recent developments in your industry. Our speakers will discuss related industry topics which...
New Opportunities for Investors in the Saskatchewan Technology and Agricultural Sectors Following the Release of Saskatchewan’s 2018-2019 Provincial Budget
On April 10, 2018, Saskatchewan’s Minister of Finance, Donna Harpauer, presented Saskatchewan’s provincial budget for 2018-2019. The budget announces two new incentives for investments in the technology and agricultural sectors: 1. The Saskatchewan Technology Start-up Incentive This two-year pilot program...
The Facilitation Payment Exemption is Gone – It’s Time to Revisit Your Anti-Corruption Compliance Program
Finally, with elimination of the “facilitation payment” exemption, a little-known loophole in Canada’s foreign anti-corruption law has been closed. However, there is now a need for extra-careful consideration of international business behaviours that may have previously been taken for granted....
First Nations Land Management – Project Development and Compliance with First Nations Laws
Since 1999, First Nation communities in Canada have had the opportunity to assume management and control of their reserve lands and resources from the Government of Canada. As a result, in addition to any applicable laws enacted by federal or...
Sterling Concrete & Hauling LP acquires assets of Sterling Concrete & Hauling Ltd. and R.G. Sterling & Son (Concrete) Ltd.
Counsel to Sterling Concrete & Hauling LP