David McCalla’s practice is focused on facilitating the goals and success of entrepreneurs and businesses. He advises on organization and structure, financing, transactions, strategic and operational matters, and succession planning.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, David was the senior solicitor and managing partner of a local firm with an outstanding reputation in estate matters and succession planning; an expertise which continues to characterize his practice.
David has taught the Alberta Bar Admission course on negotiation skills, is a former business law instructor at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, and has lectured on estate and succession matters.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law, 2014-2020
- Co-author, “Important Changes to Alberta Wills and Estate Law,” Miller Thomson Newsletter, 2012
- Co-author, “Alberta Bill 19 and Bill 50 – Controversial? Certainly! Effective? Let’s Wait and See,” Miller Thomson Real Estate Report, December 17, 2009
- Former Officer, Edmonton Community Foundation
- Former Chair, Board of Directors, and Operations and Executive Committees, Downtown Business Association, Edmonton
- Former Director and Chair, TheL’Arche Association of Edmonton
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Edmonton Art Gallery (now Art Gallery of Alberta)
- Chair, Board of Directors, Stoney Nakoda Economic Development Ltd.
- Member, Board of Directors, Stoney Nakoda Holdings Ltd.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1975
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1974
- B.A., University of Alberta, 1970