David McCalla’s practice is focused on facilitating the goals and success of entrepreneurs and businesses. He advises on organization and structure, financing, transactions, strategic and operational matters, and succession planning.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, David was the senior solicitor and managing partner of a local firm with an outstanding reputation in estate matters and succession planning; an expertise which continues to characterize his practice.
David has taught the Alberta Bar Admission course on negotiation skills, is a former business law instructor at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, and has lectured on estate and succession matters.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law, 2014-2019
- Important Changes to Alberta Wills and Estate Law, 2012
- Alberta Bill 19 and Bill 50 – Controversial? Certainly! Effective? Let’s Wait and See, Real Estate Report, December 17, 2009
- Secretary, Edmonton Community Foundation
- Former Chair, Board of Directors, and Operations and Executive Committees, Downtown Business Association, Edmonton
- Former Director and Chair, TheL’Arche Association of Edmonton
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Edmonton Art Gallery (now Art Gallery of Alberta)
- Chair, Board of Directors, Stoney Nakoda Economic Development Ltd.
- Member, Board of Directors, Stoney Nakoda Holdings Ltd.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1975
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1974
- B.A., University of Alberta, 1970
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
David R. McCalla Appointed Queen’s Counsel
Congratulations to David McCalla, Partner in our Edmonton office, who was appointed “one of Her Majesty’s counsel learned in the law” (Queen’s Counsel). The QC designation is an honour conferred annually on members of the legal profession to recognize exceptional...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers in Canada
We are pleased to announce that 80 Miller Thomson lawyers have been recognized in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada (this is 15 more lawyers than last year). Seventeen lawyers are new to the list. Additionally, the following lawyers from...
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Recent Developments in Estate Planning, Trusts and Tax
Miller Thomson’s Edmonton Office hosts a breakfast seminar discussing “Recent Developments in Estate Planning, Trusts and Tax.”
The Edmonton Office is hosting Recent Developments in Municipal Law Seminar on Thursday, October 8th
Important Changes to Alberta Wills and Estate Law
Alberta Bill 19 and Bill 50 – Controversial? Certainly! Effective? Let’s Wait and See
Chartwell acquires four Edmonton retirement communities in $297.9 million transaction
Counsel to one of the vendors
Design Group Staffing acquires LucasWorks!
Counsel to Design Group Staffing Inc.