David Martin's practice is focused on administrative law relating to self-governing professional bodies. David advises these bodies on their governing statutes and is regularly called upon to make revisions to the bodies’ statutes, regulations, and bylaws. He also acts for professional associations in disciplinary action taken against members, and as independent counsel to disciplinary tribunals.
David represents self-governing professional associations in court when appeals are taken from disciplinary action, and in litigation on all issues that affect these bodies, such as registration issues. He also defends such clients before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and at all levels of court.
David has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and the Supreme Court of Canada. David acts for plaintiffs and defendants in commercial litigation matters and has extensive experience representing manufacturers of products in actions brought against them.
In his regulatory practice, David defends corporations charged with various environmental offences.
David is Past President of the Canadian Bar Association’s Civil Litigation Section (BC Branch).
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Administrative and Public Law, 2014 – 2023; Health Care Law, 2018 – 2023
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in Canada – Health Care Law, 2023
- Acted for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia on a disciplinary matter before the Supreme Court of Canada, where the unanimous decision of the court reversed two levels of court in BC.
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Yukon Bar, 1998
- British Columbia Bar, 1975
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1974