David Gerecke is a highly experienced business lawyer with a focus on financial services and insolvency and restructuring. He also actively practises in other business law fields such as corporate/commercial, M&A, Aboriginal business, and technology licensing.
In his lending practice, David counsels lenders on structuring their security packages and has developed a deep knowledge of Bank Act security and the intricacies of Saskatchewan legislation and case law that can affect lenders’ ability to obtain recovery.
In David’s insolvency and restructuring practice he mainly represents creditors and court officers, such as receivers, along with security enforcement on behalf of creditors.
Formerly a commercial litigator, David still regularly appears in Saskatchewan courts (including in appellate matters) in insolvency proceedings and as one of few lawyers in Saskatchewan working actively in the area of property tax assessment appeals.
David is highly committed to community service and volunteer work. His highlight is having served as President of Persephone Theatre, leading the Theatre through its successful project to build a new theatre facility in downtown Saskatoon. His volunteer work has been widely recognized:
- Awarded Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan in recognition of volunteer service, 2005
- Finalist for the Lieutenant Governor’s Arts Award in the volunteer category, 2008
- Received CBA (Saskatchewan) Community Service Award, 2009
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Corporate/Commercial, 2019
- Chambers Canada recognised practitioner, Agribusiness: Agriculture & Food Products, 2019
- Chair, CBA Bankruptcy & Insolvency Subsection for Saskatchewan
- Martindale Hubbell Notable peer-rated for high ethical standing
- Represented a secured lender in numerous real estate and construction loan transactions, including a large portfolio deal.
- Represented court-appointed receivers in numerous matters before Saskatchewan and Manitoba courts.
- Advised a U.S.-based business in restructuring of its businesses and dealing with its Canadian creditors.
- Acted for vendors of auto and other dealerships, and of food processing, hotel, towing, and other businesses.
- Author, “Stopping the Revolution in its Tracks: The Supreme Court of Canada Decides Lemare Lake Logging Ltd. v. 3L Cattle Company Ltd.,” Financial Services & Insolvency Communiqué, December 2, 2015
- Co-Chair, CBA Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference, 2015
- Regular contributor, The Food Web, Miller Thomson’s Agri-Business and Food Production blog
- Author/co-author, multi-part series on the updating of “Plant Breeders’ Rights by the federal government,” The Food Web, 2014 – 2015
- Authored and presented paper, “Closing the Deal: Best Practices,” Law Society of Saskatchewan CPD seminar, 2014
- Member of Persephone Theatre Board of Directors for 8 years, Chair of Board for 2 years.
- Member of Saskatoon Symphony Society Board of Directors for 7 years
- Member of Board of Directors of Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan Festival Inc. 2014-2016
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association–National Insolvency and Restructuring Section
Bar admissions & education
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1992
- Alberta Bar, 1991
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1990
- B.A. (English), University of Saskatchewan, 1986