Daryl Schnurr has many years of experience in intellectual property law, as well as other areas of law. Daryl has a successful intellectual property litigation practice in Canada. He has filed and successfully prosecuted hundreds of patent and trademark applications in Canada, the U.S., and around the world.
Daryl specializes in preparing, prosecuting, and providing advice on patent applications relating to high tech inventions in the chemical, electrical, and mechanical fields, including computer hardware and software, medical devices and processes, and scientific imaging devices. He has successfully represented numerous clients who have made or defended intellectual property infringement claims.
Daryl has also prepared and negotiated license agreements for computer software and other high tech systems and methods.
Daryl has successfully represented parties in trademark opposition proceedings and has prepared and filed copyright and industrial design applications and provided IP strategies, audits, and evaluations.
He has also worked in other areas of law including corporate and commercial, and wills and estates.
Daryl has successfully represented clients in the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario, and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Daryl is a Professional Engineer in addition to being a Lawyer.
Daryl has a Distinguished Rating (Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards) from Martindale-Hubbell.
He has taught a Law and Ethics Course to university students for many years.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
- Registered Patent and Trademark Agent, United States, 1977
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada, 1976
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada, 1975
- Awarded First Prize, Bar Admission Course’s S.J. Birnbaum Scholarship for Estate Planning, 1974
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Law Society of Ontario
- Registered Patent Agent in Canada and the US
- Registered Trademark Agent in Canada and the US
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Waterloo Law Association
- America Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Professional Engineers Ontario
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1974
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1972
- B.A.Sc. (honours), University of Toronto, 1969