Chuck Robertson has been focusing on employment and labour law for more than 35 years and has developed a comprehensive practice. He advises and represents employers in connection with collective bargaining, union certification matters, labour board proceedings, grievance arbitration, wrongful dismissal claims, human rights issues, and occupational health and safety matters.
As a senior partner in the firm, Chuck regularly represents employers on a range of issues touching on all aspects of labour relations and employment law. This includes counselling clients on the interpretation and administration of collective agreements and appearing as counsel before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Arbitration Boards, and other administrative tribunals. He also has extensive collective bargaining experience and acts as the employer’s strategic adviser and chief spokesperson during collective agreement negotiations.
Prior to joining the firm in 1985, Chuck was Director of Labour Relations for a major Canadian company. In this capacity, he was responsible for labour and employment law matters across Canada. Chuck’s previous experience as in-house Corporate Labour Counsel gives him a unique insight into an employer’s perspective and needs.
Chuck has previously served as National Practice Chair of Miller Thomson’s Labour and Employment Law Group and as a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Chuck is known as a practical problem-solver who brings a common sense and creative approach to the practice of law for his clients.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Labour and Employment Law, 2008 – 2019
- Profiled as a Leading Practitioner in The Best Lawyers in Canada, 2008 – 2015
- The International Who’s Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers 2010
- Frequent speaker on employment and labour matters
- Author of articles on topical issues in labour relations and employment law
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association (Labour Law)
- County of York Law Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1981
- Leadership in Professional Services Firms, Harvard University Business School, 2002
- LL.B., Western University, 1979
- B.B.A. (Hons), Wilfrid Laurier University, 1976