Brian Tod has extensive experience as counsel in corporate, commercial, and real estate matters, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, corporate/commercial law, contracts, and contract negotiation.
Brian works closely with senior management in a broad range of businesses to achieve their objectives. His understanding of business helps Brian to effectively negotiate major contracts for clients and in assist in the acquisition or sale of large, complex businesses.
Brian constantly strives to provide prompt service and pragmatic advice to his business clients. He has developed a reputation as a clear strategic thinker finding creative solutions for his clients. He is consistently listed as a leading lawyer in various peer rating publications.
Brian has presented papers and has lectured for the Legal Education Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Law Society of Alberta, Bar Admission Course on various business law and real estate topics.
Brian has served as a volunteer board member and as a fundraiser for various charitable organizations.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2014-2018; Corporate Mid-Market Law, 2013-2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2006-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer, 1998-2016
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1991
- Brian has significant board experience having served as a director on several public and private corporation boards.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1972
- LL.B., University of Manitoba, 1971
- B.A., University of Manitoba, 1968