Barbara Doherty has a broad corporate/commercial practice with specialties in securities, capital markets, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions. She is actively involved in dispute resolution, settling, and providing support in prosecuting litigious matters. She works with both Canadian and international clients.
Barbara has acted for issuers, controlling shareholders, independent committees, and registrants. She has experience with transactions relating to corporate acquisitions, divestitures, and reorganizations with securities, regulatory, competition, and Investment Canada implications.
Barbara has a wealth of experience in mergers and acquisitions. Barb’s strength is her ability to lead a service team dedicated to helping clients plan, orchestrate, and successfully implement complex transactions within time-sensitive, regulated environments.
Barbara led the firm’s team that completed one of the first mergers and acquisitions of two mutual fund dealers regulated by the MFDA. She also led the corporate/commercial and specialty team of 25 lawyers advising on the design, build, finance, and operation of the first public-private hospital facility in Ontario. Barbara was appointed as External Counsel to the Ontario Power Authority and led the firm’s service team with a mandate to provide corporate/commercial legal services to support the development of conservation and demand management programs.
Barbara has acted on private placements and prospectus offerings for both foreign and domestic registrants and issuers including investment funds and government agencies. These offerings consist of various equity and debt instruments. She has also acted on exempt and non-exempt takeover bids for offerors, targets, controlling shareholders, and dealers.
Barbara is actively involved in advising foreign companies with their direct investment in and establishing their businesses in Canada. She advises companies from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates and the United States on their Canadian operations.
She works with client from International companies range from industries as diverse as architecture and consulting, biopharma, biotech, brokerage, clean tech, construction, construction equipment/power and parts, data management and communications, digital media, eco-wastes, e-commerce, emerging technologies (AI, blockchain and smart contracts), energy and renewable energy, engineering sealants and paving maintenance, film production, financial services, food and beverage, footwear, forestry, global construction and infrastructure, government registry development, health care, hotel management, hydro-electric construction, international dealers and advisors, investment funds, logistics, marketing and advertising, mining equipment engineering, oil and gas, outsource product engineering services, pharmaceuticals, product manufacturing, private and public security training and simulation, real estate development, robotics, roof coatings, small appliance manufacturing and housewares, soil and water decontamination, solar power, specialty environmental contracting, specialty publishing, telecommunications, utilities and safety solutions and water resources.
- Panellist “Don’t let the Tail Wag the Dog” at Corporate Counsel & Compliance Exchange, Lansdowne Resort, Leesburg, Virginia, June 2014
- Winner of Lawyer Monthly Magazine’s Women in Law Award 2014, rewarding legal experts that have influenced the wider legal profession across the globe
- Moderator key note panel “Going Beyond Regulation in Championing an Executive Compensation Policy that Strengthens Transparency and Spurs Performance at Corporate Counsel Exchange Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, April 2010
- Listed in “Women in the Lead”, a national directory of Canadian women whose professional expertise and experience recommend them as candidates for corporate board appointment (current)
- Chair, Implementing Registration Reform for Dealer Firms, Financial Advisors, SRO Members, a joint seminar presentation of Miller Thomson, Deloitte & Touche & AON. September 2010
- Chair, Implementing Reform for Advisors and Investment Managers, a joint seminar presentation of Miller Thomson, Deloitte & Touche & AON, September 2010
- Counsel to Counsel Roundtable, Tips for In-House Counsel: Protecting the Board and the Company in the Secondary Market Civil Liability Regime, May 2007
- Panellist CCCA Conference, Income Trusts, August 2006
- Chair, Secondary Market Civil Liability Webinar, November 2005
- Chair, Infrastructure Roundtable: Featuring Minister David Caplan, June 2005
- Leader, Accessing PVC Workshop TSX Venture Success Campaign 2004
- Panellist, Roadmapto Growth, TSX Venture Success Campaign 2004
- Corporate Governance : Focus on Investor Confidence Presentation Calgary Chamber of Commerce, November 2003
- Moderator: Executive Roundtable featuring David Beatie, Managing Director Coalition of Good Governance, November 2003
- Speaker Infonex Conference Continuous Disclosure: Selective Disclosure Avoiding Your Worst Nightmare, March 2002
- Panellist CCCA Spring 2000 Conference; Surviving Continuous Disclosure Obligations with Electronic Media, Spring 2000
- Co-Chair CBAO Seminar “Shareholder Disputes”, June 1997
- Seminar Leader, Bar Admission Course in the Business Law and Practice Skills Sessions, 1986 – 1996
- Seminar Leader, negotiation skills courses for the Law Society’s Continuing Education Program
- Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), 2010 – 2014
- Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions: A Tool Kit for Northbound Acquisitions, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2008
- Directors Duties in Canada Managing Risk, (CCH, 1995), one of 5 Nominees for the National Business Book Award offered jointly by Coopers & Lybrand and the Financial Times, 2005
- Director, Avanti! Canada Digital Hub Limited
- Director, DEME Environmental Contractors Ltd.
- Director, Foster Moore Canada Ltd.
- Director, Hamilton Beach Brands Canada, Inc.
- Director, IDCO Canada Holdings Inc.
- Director, Monster Energy Canada Ltd.
- Director, Return on Intelligence (Canada), Ltd.
- Past Director, V.O.N., Metropolitan Toronto
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Associate)
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Women in Capital Markets
- International Bar Association
- Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission 1993 – 1995
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1982
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1980
- B.Ed., McGill University, 1970