Barbara Farina is a commercial and corporate law partner in Miller Thomson’s Financial Services Group and Business Law Group in Montréal. Her expertise touches upon all aspects of the financial sector, including national and cross-border acquisition financing, all types of credit facilities, project financing, real estate financing, private placements and public offerings and master lease financings.
Barbara represents the full spectrum of financing stakeholders, such as lenders, syndicates of lenders and corporate borrowers in various financing transactions (ex.: operating lines of credit, asset-based financings, public financings, leasing, securitizations, real estate loans, financings of infrastructure projects and construction financings). Her experience extends to a large array of industries and sectors, namely financial institutions, transportation, mining, oil, forestry, real estate, renewable energy, entertainment and media, and manufacturing.
Barbara works regularly on major Canadian, cross-border and global syndicated financings. She is also actively involved in M&A transactions (both on the purchaser and seller sides), and other transactions of a commercial nature such as service agreements, distribution agreements, licensing agreements and lease, leasing and conditional agreements.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Banking and Finance Law, 2020-2022; Project Finance Law, 2021-2022; Asset-Based Lending Practice, 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing, 2021; Banking & Financial Institutions, 2021
- The Legal 500 Canada – Banking and Finance, 2013
- Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Habitat for Humanity Canada
- Sun Youth
Bar admissions & education
- Quebec Bar, 1998
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1996