Anne-Frédérique Bourret's practice focuses on administrative and regulatory law as it pertains to the environment, energy, climate change, mining, natural resources, urban planning and agriculture.
Anne-Frédérique advises clients operating in various industry sectors—energy, transportation, manufacturing, forestry, agribusiness, pharmaceuticals, and real estate development and financing—on matters relating to environmental law compliance. She represents clients in negotiations with environmental authorities, as well as in environmental litigation before administrative and judicial tribunals.
Anne-Frédérique advises clients engaged in mergers and acquisitions, financings or commercial leases on issues relating to permits, environmental assessment processes, ongoing operations, discovery of contaminants, neighborhood disturbances, changes in land use or the cessation of activities, remediation of contaminated lands, management of air emissions, effluents and hazardous materials, environmental risks and other matters relating to the environment. Anne-Frédérique publishes and speaks on matters pertaining to the environment and on changes to environmental laws.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Environmental Law, 2018-2019
- Co-chair, Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section, Quebec Branch of the Canadian Bar Association
- New Bridge for the St. Lawrence Corridor: Advising the Government of Canada in connection with the structuring and implementation of a public-private partnership to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the New Bridge for the St. Lawrence replacing the existing 4.5 kilometer Champlain Bridge in Montréal (project value: CA$4.2 billion).
- Montreal Turcot Interchange: Acting as legal counsel to the Government of Québec in connection with the structuring and implementation of the request for proposals for the Turcot Project in Montreal, including drafting and negotiating the related design build contract. This CA$3 billion project entails the reconstruction of four major interchanges and the demolition of all existing structures.
- Cascades Inc.: Acting as environmental counsel in relation to the acquisition of folding carton converting and paperboard mill assets of Norampac, a division of Cascades Canada ULC.
- Domtar: Advising on the rezoning of its former Gatineau industrial site along the Ottawa River and its associated sale to Windmill Development Group and Dream Unlimited Corp. as part of the CA$1 billion mixed residential/commercial Windmill Zibi development project.
- Domtar: Advising on the sale of Lebel-sur-Quévillon assets.
- Bayerische Landesbank, New York Branch: Advising the bank as sole lead arranger, administrative agent, and lender, on its US$55 million project financing for the 21.15 MW Le Plateau 2 wind farm in the MRC d’Avignon, Quebec, the first community partnership wind power generation project between Invenergy Wind LLC and Le Plateau Wind Community Power LP.
- Wind farm projects developer: Advising on the environmental aspects concerning the development of wind farm projects.
- Multinational electrical manufacturer: Advising in connection with the environmental aspects of its activities in Canada, and the sale and acquisition of real estate assets.
- Global auto parts provider: Advising in connection with the environmental aspects of its activities in Canada and the sale of certain real estate assets.
- Construction company: Advising in connection with the environmental aspects of the acquisition of certain assets.
- Confidential clients: Advising on obligations relating to the environment and regarding the environmental compliance of their operations.
- Confidential clients: Advising on contaminated land issues including potential liability associated with existing and historical land contamination and the permanent cessation of certain types of activities and changes in the use of properties where certain types of activities have been carried on.
- Confidential clients: Providing legal opinions on the environmental legislation applicable to their specific sectors of activity and on specific environmental issues.
- Confidential clients: Drafting and negotiating environmental representations, warranties and covenants in master agreements relating to commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, sales of shares and assets, commercial leases and financing.
- Confidential clients: Due diligence review of environmental documents for proposed transactions.
- Confidential clients: Conducting discussions with environmental authorities regarding the compliance of clients’ operations with environmental laws and the obtaining of environmental permits.
- Confidential clients: Preparing a monthly updated compliance checklist; and providing training on various environmental issues.
- “Beauregard c. Groupe CRH Canada: Attention aux nuisances à l’extérieur du chantier!”, Journal Constructo, April 27, 2018 (with Claire Durocher)
- “Projet de Règlement sur la procédure d’évaluation et d’examen des impacts sur l’environnement de certains projets : changements proposés”, Environotes!, February 8, 2018
- “Adoption of Bill 102 modernizing the Québec Environmental Authorization Scheme”, Environotes!, Mai 30, 2017
- “Construction en milieux humides : Quels sont les risques ?”, Journal Constructo, January 18, 2018 (with Claire Durocher)
- “Bill 55 Tabled Before the Québec National Assembly”, August 4, 2015
- “Relaunching the Northern Plan: Introduction of the Bill to establish the Société du Plan Nord”, October 16, 2014 (with Ann Bigué and Charles Côté-Lépine)
- “Hydro-Québec Distribution lance un appel d’offres pour l’achat d’un bloc de 450MW d’énergie éolienne”, January 2014 (with Charles Côté-Lépine)
- “Hydro-Québec Distribution files an application for approval of the weighting table of the evaluation criteria for the call for tenders of 450 MW of wind power (A/O 2013-01) with the Régie de l’Énergie”, November 2013
- “Draft Regulation on a block of 450 MW of wind power”, September 2013 (with Charles Côté-Lépine)
- “Quebec adopts new cap-and-trade system for greenhouse gas emission allowances”, Focus on Environmental Law, March 2012
- Les structures dans les nouveaux développements immobiliers et les incidences environnementales, Miller Thomson annual Construction Law seminar, March 20,2018, presented jointly with Chantal Joubert
- Développement de projets en milieux humides, In-house training program, November 2015
- L’environnement pour les administrateurs et les dirigeants : une source de responsabilité, d’incertitude et d’inquiétude!, May 20, 2015
- Lobbyisme dans le cadre de démarches visant l’obtention de permis environnementaux, In-house training activity, November 2014
- Aspects juridiques de la gestion de projet, Training delivered at a conference titled “Le risque environnemental et la gestion de projet : Ce que tout conseiller juridique d’entreprise et professionnel de l’environnement devrait savoir,” organized by the Québec branch of the Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, January 2014
- Presentation on environmental law given to University of Montréal’s law students, January 2013
- L’impact de la Loi C-38 sur les projets de développement (« Loi Mammouth »), conference presented at the Québec Marine Day of the St. Lawrence Economic Development Council (SODES), November 2012
- Les aspects environnementaux et fonciers du développement de projets dans le territoire du Plan Nord, Boot Camp Plan Nord, co-presented with other contributors, October 2012
- Les impacts insoupçonnés (et importants!) de la Loi 89 modifiant la Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement sur les demandeurs et les titulaires de permis, training given as part of an in-house program as well as to the wind committee of the Association québécoise de la production d’énergie renouvelable (AQPER), January 2012
- Le devoir de prudence et de diligence dans la garde d’un terrain contaminé”, Insight Brownfields Conference, June 2011
- Les aspects environnementaux des transactions, In-house training program
- Le marché du carbone, In-house training program
- Vice-president of the Board of Directors, Vistal 1 Syndicate of co-owners (and Vistal 1 and Vistal 2 sport center)
- Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section, Quebec Branch of the Canadian Bar Association
- Québec Business Council on the Environment
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2005
- Université de Montréal, doctoral candidate
- Env., Master in Environment, Université de Sherbrooke, 2010
- DGE, Graduate Diploma in Environmental Management, Université de Sherbrooke, 2009
- L.L.B., Université de Montréal, 2004
- B.A., McGill University, 2001