Alissa Ricioppo is an intellectual property lawyer who works with clients across a variety of industries, including entertainment and media, marketing and advertising, and emerging technologies. Alissa is passionate about working with artists, start-ups, and other entrepreneurs to protect, commercialize, and manage their intellectual property assets. She enjoys working with clients to effectively navigate the legal aspects of their business with efficient and cost-effective solutions.
Alissa’s practice focuses on the following areas:
Intellectual Property: Alissa assists clients in obtaining trademark and copyright protections and managing intellectual property disputes. She also engages in transactional work involving intellectual property due diligence and contractual matters such as licensing.
Entertainment and Media: Alissa works with musical artists, content creators, film and television productions, and producers in matters specific to their industry, such as endorsements, record deals, rights acquisition, licensing, and distribution.
Marketing and Advertising: Alissa supports clients in the marketing and advertising industry with matters related to consumer protection, Canada’s anti-spam law (CASL), privacy, and product classification. She also does reviews of contests, promotions, product labels and advertising campaigns.
Fintech and Blockchain: Alissa works on matters in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space, including matters related to tokenized business models, the creation and sale of NFTs, deployment of blockchain technology, and the regulation of crypto asset trading platforms.
Professional achievements & leadership
- 1st Place Prize, Morrow Essay Contest, Alberta Law Review, 2020
- William H. Hurlburt QC Scholarship in Law, 2020
- Faculty of Law Entrance & Undergraduate Scholarships, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Tore Martin Purdy Memorial Prize in Legal Research and Writing, 2018
- Robert A Homme QC Memorial Scholarship in Law, 2017
- University of Alberta Entrance & Undergraduate Scholarships, 2013, 2016, 2017
- The Captain Edward M (Ted) Kates Memorial Scholarship in Criminology, 2016
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship, 2016
- Co-author, “New House on the Block(chain)”, July 2021
- Co-author, “Protecting Your Instagram Account: 4 Ways to Keep Your Page Open for Business”, April 2021
- Co-author, “From Branding to Blockchain”, December 2018
- Child Advocate, Zebra Child Protection Centre, 2014-2019
- Volunteer, Student Legal Services, 2017-2018
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2021
- Osgoode Certificate in Entertainment Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2022
- J.D. (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 2020
- B.A. Criminology (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 2017