Alfred Apps is a senior partner with a corporate law practice. He is co-head of the firm’s structured finance and securitization practice.
Alfred is recognized as a leading counsel in restructuring, M&A, private equity fund formation and investment, structured finance, and infrastructure finance. In addition to Lexpert, he has been ranked by UK-based PLC as one of Canada's leading lawyers in many of these fields. He served as debtor counsel in the $32 billion restructuring of the Canadian asset-backed commercial paper market, the largest debt restructuring in Canadian history. He has also served as counsel in relation to a number of rated and unrated bond financings.
In addition to over 20 years in the practice of corporate law, Alfred has led companies and raised capital in Canada, the U.S., and Europe. He has also served as Chair and/or Director of a number of public and private companies.
In 1993, he was named CEO of The Lehndorff Group, where he led a 47-lender $1 billion debt restructuring, and oversaw the creation of one of Canada’s first REITs. In 1998, Alfred led a business combination between Lehndorff and Dundee Realty Corporation (now DREAM) and, after a short period as President and COO of the successor corporation, was appointed CEO of Newstar Technologies Inc. In 2001, after completing a merger of Newstar with three of its U.S. competitors, Alfred returned to the practice of corporate law.
Alfred’s practice currently focuses on corporate reorganizations and restructurings, structured finance and securitization, and corporate finance for emerging Canadian companies with a global outlook.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Mid-Market, 2016-2018; Corporate Commercial Law, 2018
- Past President, Liberal Party of Canada, 2009 – 2012
- Past President, Empire Club of Canada, 2009 – 2010
- Past Chair, Foundation Board for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2006 – 2007
- Director arts and youth-oriented charities including the Seiler Strings and DreamNow
- Ontario Bar Association
- Huron University College Corporation (Western University)
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1987
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1984
- Honours B.A., Western University, 1979