Alfred Apps is a senior partner focused on corporate finance and restructuring. He is co-head of the firm’s structured finance and securitization practice.
Alfred is recognized as a leading counsel in restructuring, M&A, private equity fund formation and investment, structured finance, and infrastructure finance. In addition to Lexpert, he has been ranked by UK-based PLC as one of Canada's leading lawyers in many of these fields. He served as debtor counsel in the $32 billion restructuring of the Canadian asset-backed commercial paper market, the largest debt restructuring in Canadian history. He has also served as counsel in relation to a number of rated and unrated bond financings.
In addition to over 25 years in the practice of corporate law, Alfred has led companies and raised capital in Canada, the U.S., and Europe. He has also served as Chair and/or Director of a number of public and private companies and was one of the founders of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
In 1993, after deep involvement in a series of major Canadian commercial real estate and retail restructurings under the Companies Creditors’ Arrangement Act, he was named CEO of The Lehndorff Group, where he led a 47-lender $1 billion debt restructuring, and oversaw the creation of one of Canada’s first REITs. In 1998, Alfred led a business combination between Lehndorff and Dundee Realty Corporation (now DREAM) and, after a short period as President and COO of the successor corporation, was appointed CEO of Newstar Technologies Inc. In 2001, after completing a merger of Newstar with three of its U.S. competitors and overseeing the combined business from its head office in New York, Alfred returned to the practice of corporate law in Toronto.
Alfred’s practice currently focuses on corporate reorganizations and restructurings, structured finance and securitization, and corporate finance for emerging Canadian companies with a global outlook. A former President of the Liberal Party of Canada and speechwriter for the last government of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Alfred remains interested and involved on a voluntary basis in party politics and public policy formation. He has also served as a Director and President of CAMH Foundation, as well as the Empire Club of Canada.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Mid-Market, 2016 – 2021; Corporate Commercial Law, 2018, 2021
- Co-author, “Focus on Canada”, Digitorney’s Crisis Navigator, April 8, 2020
- Past President, Liberal Party of Canada, 2009 – 2012
- Past President, Empire Club of Canada, 2009 – 2010
- Past Chair, Foundation Board for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2006 – 2007
- Director arts and youth-oriented charities including the Seiler Strings and DreamNow
- Ontario Bar Association
- Huron University College Corporation (Western University)
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1987
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1984
- Honours B.A., Western University, 1979