Meredith Francis is a Certified eDiscovery Specialist (CEDS), Certified Expert in Civil Litigation and Fellow Member of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO), and an integral member of Miller Thomson’s national eDiscovery Management Group. Meredith is based out of the firm’s Toronto office, managing numerous eDiscovery matters and providing eDiscovery support to our network of 12 national offices strategically based across the country.
As an eDiscovery Case Manager, Meredith is knowledgeable about all aspects of eDiscovery and is responsible for providing electronic document management solutions, advice and guidance to all Miller Thomson practice groups in the area of document discovery. Meredith consults on the main phases of the eDiscovery Reference Model (EDRM), including identification, document collection, review, production and trial. Meredith is also largely responsible for collecting, organizing, managing and maintaining the ever-expanding volume of Electronically Stored Information (ESI) and other litigation documents to ensure best practices and defensibility.
Together with members of the firm’s eDiscovery Management Group, Meredith also develops policies, procedures and best practices for eDiscovery workflows, and prepares protocol and process documentation for use at a national firm level.
Meredith has worked in the litigation field since 1996 and, with over two decades of experience as a dedicated litigation law clerk, brings a wealth of knowledge and information to our eDiscovery Management Group. The breadth of Meredith’s experience is an invaluable asset to our clients as she plays an essential role that is fundamental to our litigation practice. Meredith’s knowledge and efficiency during all aspects of the litigation process, including the initial stages of litigation, the discovery process and trials, ensures clients receive quality, cost-efficient results throughout their actions.
Meredith’s previous experience includes extensive work on multi-party, document-intensive and complex litigation cases at all levels of Court and she worked closely within the separate practice groups of two lawyers who have both been appointed to the bench of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. Meredith dedicated two decades of her career specializing in trauma-informed litigation on behalf of survivors with emphasis on Indigenous rights and Aboriginal law, civil sexual assault and abuse, institutional abuse, misconduct, wrongful confinement, physical and mental cruelty, sexual discrimination and harassment. Meredith has worked extensively with Indigenous survivors of abuse perpetrated at Indian Residential Schools and Federal Indian Day Schools, first through civil actions within the court system and then through the Independent Assessment Process (IAP) as a result of the implementation of the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement in 2007. Meredith also has extensive knowledge of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB), which is an adjunctive tribunal created under the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act.
Meredith was involved in one of the first electronic trials in Toronto: a year-long Indigenous and historical flooding trial dealing with Aboriginal and treaty rights.
She also has experience in plaintiff personal injury and medical malpractice, commercial litigation and securities, employment law, insurance defence and insurance subrogated claims.
- • Elected School Council Parent Representative, Volunteer and Chaperone at her son’s elementary school
- Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO)
- Association of Certified eDiscovery Specialists (ACEDS)
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA)
- Women in eDiscovery (WIE)
- Relativity User Group
- Ipro Tech, LLC
Bar admissions & education
- Certified e-Discovery Specialist (CEDS), Association of Certified eDiscovery Specialists (ACEDS)
- e-Discovery Certificate, Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO)
- e-Discovery Advanced Theory & Practices for Litigation Support, ILCO Fellowship Course
- Certified Expert in Civil Litigation, ILCO
- CaseLines Certified Trainer
- Ipro Eclipse SE Certified Administrator
- Legal Administration Diploma (3 Year Law Clerk Program), Durham College of Applied Arts and Technology, (President’s and College Honour Rolls)
- Meredith regularly attends continuing education programs and conferences to stay up-to-date with the legal landscape and ever-evolving changes in the eDiscovery industry