The latest developments in the areas of spousal and child support will be discussed during this breakfast conference.
You will be able to know more about a host of subjects, including the determination of one’s income to establish the maintenance allowance, the global amount of support to be paid and the provision for expenses as well as the fees that a support payer is authorized to deduct from his income tax returns.
Please be informed that the conference will be held in French.
Determining one’s income in order to establish the maintenance allowance is quite often considered the key issue in these negotiations. The definition of an income is very broad.
- What can be said about self-employed workers, sole shareholders and shareholders with decision-making powers?
- What will the court consider in its assessment of the real capacity to pay of these parties?
- What happens if we observe a lack of transparency in determining one’s income?
- How can we manage events such as leaving a job, voluntary retirement and other similar events?
- In which circumstances can a court increase the parents’ earnings?
- Are the assets held in trust ever considered?
- When does the implementation of child support tables which set out the amounts due become optional?
- Is there a deadline or a term for child support payments?
We will also discuss the determination of spousal support.
- What are the factors and objectives to consider?
- What are the two components of spousal support (compensatory and non-compensatory support)?
- What is the duration of spousal support payments?
- How can we secure or agree upon a term of payment?
Lastly we will discuss the issue of the global amounts of support to be paid and the criteria to award them as well as the provision for expenses and its related scope. The conference will therefore discuss all of these topics and several more.
Continuing Education: 1 hour and 30 minutes
A certificate of participation will be emailed to registrants having attended the conference.
Barreau du Québec: recognized as 1 hour and 30 minutes of continuing education.
8:00 a.m. • Registration and network
8:30 a.m. • Conference
10:00 a.m. • End
October 30, 2018
1000 De La Gauchetière Street West, 37th Floor