At Miller Thomson LLP, equity, diversity and inclusion are critical components of our vision, values and strategic plan.
The Miller Thomson National Diversity Scholarship and Mentoring Program is one example of Miller Thomson’s commitment to support equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives in the communities in which we live and work, and as part of our obligation to keep listening, learning and pressing for real progress on the road to achieving equality for all.
In 2022, the Program will provide two $2,500 scholarships to eligible law students along with a lawyer mentor to provide support and guidance to the recipient during the academic year in which they receive the award.
- Be a full-time law student in good standing in their first or second year (as of December 31 in the year in which they apply) at a Canadian law school;
- Possess strong leadership skills, an entrepreneurial mindset and a commitment to access to justice for all and equality, diversity and inclusion;
- Have made meaningful and creative contributions to the advancement of access to justice and equality, diversity and inclusion in their law school, their workplace, or the communities in which they live or work; and
- Not have received a diversity scholarship from another law firm in the same academic year.
Applicants shall submit all of the following on or before the deadline:
- a current resume (two page maximum);
- a short essay (two page maximum) describing how they believe they will apply their leadership and entrepreneurial skills, and their commitment to access to justice for all and equity, diversity and inclusion, to a career in the legal profession;
- two reference letters which speak to their character and positive contributions (at least one from a law school professor, employer or community leader, on letterhead).
Applicants are not required to identify as being a member of an underrepresented group. Applicants who are the immediate family member of a Miller Thomson/ Miltom Management employee will not be eligible. Successful applicants may only receive the scholarship once.
Applications should be addressed to the Diversity Scholarship Panel at email@example.com and received on or before Friday, September 9, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Recipients of the Miller Thomson Diversity Scholarship and Mentoring Program will be notified directly on or before Friday, October 7, 2022.