Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a Manager, Talent Management to join our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Director, Talent Management, the Manager, Talent Management provides support for the development and implementation of integrated and effective talent management and human resources programs aligned with the firm’s ongoing needs and best practices for the Firm.
Plays a key role in the continued success of the Firm through strong people management practices and counselling employees with the overarching goal of creating a great employee experience. Accountable for translating business needs into Talent programs and initiatives and ensuring the ongoing evolution of Miller Thomson LLP as an employer of choice. Acts as the primary day-to-day Talent resource in the Region, interacting regularly with Firm members at all levels. Working collaboratively with national Talent Managers, Talent Services (Recruitment, Total Rewards, Performance and Learning) across the Firm on special projects and sharing of best practices.
In this role, you will be tasked to manage:
- Responsible for employee relations for regional Firm members. Point of contact and escalation for all employee relations and performance management issues (in collaboration with Senior Manager, Talent and Performance).
- Interprets policies and makes proper use of their applications. Coaching people managers and counselling employees.Talent Operations (Practices, Process and Procedures):
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Talent strategy and related plans that support the growth and evolution of the Firm. Deliver the best Talent solutions to support the success of the business and improve the employee experience.
- Provide operational support to the Director, Talent Management and Director, Talent Services and all employees.
- Makes recommendations on best practices and analyze programs and data to identify trends to support management decisions around people.
- Works closely with Directors in determining staffing requirements for the Shared Services and Paraprofessional groups, as well as wage increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions in compliance with Firm policies.
- Supports the recruitment process as required in collaboration with the National Recruitment Team. Develops and maintains strong relationships, builds trust and credibility with all Firm members.
- Maintains a focus on and commitment to personal development and a strong understanding of human resources best practices.
- Supports the National Director and local offices in the implementation of employee engagement surveys. Through analysis, provide support to management and staff in action planning process to address results and achieve desired outcomes.
- Promote Miller Thomson as an attractive place of employment through networking, candidate/external vendor contact and daily communication with various internal and external clients such as Legal Assistants, administrative staff and industry groups such as BCLOMA, ILCO, ILTA, and external colleges with related Diploma programs.
Total Rewards and Disability Management:
- Oversight of Disability Management for the Region in collaboration with Manager, Total Rewards and Disability Management. The escalation point for disability management and accessibility/accommodations matters for the Region.
- Works with Total Rewards to ensure a smooth transition to return to work through elimination of workplace barriers, keeping all stakeholders informed of relevant details while maintaining confidentiality and privacy of the employee. Stays abreast of current best practices and coaches’ team members to ensure effective return to work solutions and services are delivered Firm wide.
- Contribute to organizational goals through cross department initiatives such as compensation recommendations, anticipating hiring needs to develop talent pipelines.Recruitment:
- In collaboration with National Recruitment Team, supports hiring managers in developing job descriptions aligned with organization needs, through understanding needs and staffing issues.
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager, Talent and Performance, provide support in technical and administrative aspects of performance review process. Reinforcing the objectives and expected outcomes of the process; training employees and managers as required.
- Ensures that mid-year follow-up meetings and year-end reviews are conducted in a timely and effective manner. Ensuring appropriate follow-up and action on performance improvement plans.
- Conduct probation meetings with employees at the end of probationary period.
New Hire Onboarding:
- Post- hire, manage and act as the face of the new hire onboarding process for the Region for all Firm members including Lawyers, Shared Services, Paraprofessional and Legal Assistants. Ensure a positive and smooth transition and be the point person for all new hires for the Region.
- Working collaboratively with national Talent Managers across the Firm on special projects and sharing of best practices.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- Diploma/Degree in Human Resources and completion of or working towards Human Resources designation
- Minimum of ten (10) years working in a Human Resources Manager, Human Resources Business Partner or Generalist capacity.
- Experience working in the legal or professional services industry preferred.
- Knowledge of Provincial and National HR practices and legislation.
- Superior interpersonal/communication skills.
- Good organizational skills with ability to work independently and effectively organize time and priorities.
- Problem solving skills including ability to understand financial impact and relevant options.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to create presentation documents and reports for the Director/Management level.
- Excellent professional image to represent the firm and HR team to internal and external clients.
- Strong MS Office skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience working with HRIS systems and tools
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title to:
Attn: Manager, Recruitment
Miller Thomson LLP
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.