Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a Coordinator, Legal Support Services to join our Toronto or Vaughan office. Reporting to the Senior Supervisor, Legal Support Services, the incumbent will be involved in coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Legal Assistant group in the Toronto and Vaughan offices. This role can be based in our Vaughan office however would require regular weekly visits to the Toronto office.
The successful candidate will demonstrate initiative, strong communication and organization skills with a desire to work in and promote a client first focused culture. Being a contributing team player is essential, along with work hour flexibility to accommodate business needs.
In this role, you will be tasked to:
- Supporting the Legal Support Services (LSS) team in working with legal professionals (Lawyers/Paraprofessionals), on various matters including employee relations, recruitment, workflow, coverage, etc.
- Monitor workflow and suggest alternate methods of working to increase productivity and client team effectiveness.
- Absence management to ensure the necessary resources are available, including making direct daily contact with lawyers and LA teams when a member is absent – coordinating and facilitating workflow and redirecting support needs to overflow if needed. Working with the LSS team to coordinate support during long-term absences such as leaves/vacations, forecasting and planning staffing levels during peak vacation periods, etc.
- Administrative tasks such as typing notes, upkeep of status reports/workflow documents/share listings, etc. Processing of timesheets, user procedures, payroll documentation, coordinating/scheduling meetings for LSS Supervisors, etc.
- Responsible for planning Legal Assistant engagement initiatives including relationship and team-building events.
- Assisting with implementation of change initiatives.
- Other tasks as required.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience as a Legal Assistant. Equivalent experience as an Administrative Assistant in a professional services firm will be considered an asset.
- Litigation working knowledge and experience will be considered an asset.
- Certificate/Diploma in Human Resources Management or equivalent work experience considered an asset.
- Strong judgment, with the ability to adapt to different personalities/work styles.
- Strong communication, coaching and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands in a fast paced environment.
- Diplomacy, discretion and tact.
- Intermediate to advanced technical skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title to:
Attn: Manager, Recruitment
Miller Thomson LLP
40 King Street West, Suite 5800
P.O. Box 1011
Toronto, ON M5H 3S1
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.