Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with 550 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal.
We are seeking an experienced Business Development Manager to join our London team. Reporting to the Director, National Business Development and Marketing, you will be the key business development advisor to one of the firm’s national Practice Groups and an on-the-ground resource for the lawyers in that office and practice. The successful incumbent will provide strategic advice and tactical support of key business development initiatives that boost the group’s profile and revenue potential, that align with firm-wide business strategy.
In this role, your tasks will include (but will not be limited to):
- Implementing national and locally integrated business development and marketing campaigns and directory submissions (Chambers, Benchmark, etc., as applicable) designed to improve the Group’s market recognition, enhance and build relationships and drive revenue;
- Participating in Group meetings to help implement strategy, undertake business development-related client and market research as needed, suggest synergies, share best practices, and promote cross-selling of Group services;
- Working with members of the National Business Development and Marketing team to coordinate effort and collaborate in executing national Group and Shared Services initiatives, including multi-jurisdictional/office RFPs;
- Collaborating with national CRM team to promote the active and effective use of InterAction within the Group to achieve business development goals;
- Managing and responding to day-to-day requests for business development support including, but not limited to: RFP submissions, business pitches, advice in relation to strategic client events opportunities, tracking ROI, developing ROI metrics;
- Providing leadership with respect to enhancing joint sponsorship opportunities undertaken at the regional level that will give exposure to new business sources, and build the firm’s profile in local business community;
- Other duties and support of firm-wide priorities as needed.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- University degree required, with a major in marketing, business or communications preferred.
- Minimum seven (7) years of work experience, with at least three (3) years as a BD/Marketing Manager (or similar senior role) within a professional services environment, ideally at a law firm.
- Superior time management and organizational skills, with the ability to proactively problem-solve and manage competing priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment;
- Good at prioritizing, capable of working under pressure and flexible to meet unusual scheduling requirements;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; collaborative and diplomatic operational style;
- Travel to Miller Thomson offices or other locations may be required as needed. Overnight travel, from two to three days, may be required on occasion annually;
- Background in legal marketing and working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Elite, Lotus Notes and CRM databases an asset;
- Comfortable with social media platforms
Our ideal candidate is a strong communicator who is a motivated self-starter with a passion to deliver service excellence.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to:
Attn: Specialist, Talent and Recruitment
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.