Stephen R. Ross
Biographie( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Stephen Ross is a Partner in the Litigation group in the Vancouver office. His practice is concentrated in the areas of commercial litigation, forestry law, and insolvency law.
Stephen represents a variety of companies, contractors and financial institutions. His commercial litigation practice areas include forestry disputes, security enforcement and insolvency, and construction litigation. He has represented parties in major restructurings, general contractors in construction disputes, and logging contractors in forestry disputes. In addition, his practice includes acting in a wide range of commercial litigation matters such as contract and construction actions, builders’ liens, shareholder disputes, and corporate remedies.
A major focus of Stephen’s practice and expertise is in the area of forestry law. He has extensive experience acting for logging contractors in disputes with forest licence holders, including mediations and arbitrations of rate disputes, amount of work disputes, and contract issues. He acts for a major BC logging association and its members. Stephen is recognized by Lexpert as a leading practitioner in Canada in forestry law.
Stephen has done extensive work in the areas of creditors’ remedies and insolvency. Since 1976, he has represented lenders, receivers, trustees, and insolvent debtors in all aspects of security enforcement, commercial reorganization and restructuring. He has been involved in many of British Columbia’s major commercial reorganizations, including Westar Mining Ltd., Woodward’s, Eron Mortgage Corporation and Skeena Cellulose Inc.
A member of the British Columbia Bar, Stephen is a graduate of the University of British Columbia (B.A., 1971) and York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1975).
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1975
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 1971
- Member, Canadian Bar Association - Civil Litigation, Insolvency, Forestry, and Construction law Sections (BC Branch)
- Rate Dispute Arbitration Awards Under Revised Rate Test, Truck Loggers Association Training Session, 2010
- Debt Recovery in Challenging Economic Times, Miller Thomson seminar, 2009
- "Forestry Law" chapter (co-authored with Kenneth N. Burnett), Business Laws of Canada, Thomson Reuters Westlaw, 2010 (updated annually)
Principaux domaines de pratiques
- Médiation et arbitrage des différends entre les détenteurs de licence et les entrepreneurs en exploitation forestière
Admission au Barreau
- Colombie-Britannique, 1976