( Disponible en anglais seulement )
We are seeking a Legal Assistant for a full-time opportunity in the Intellectual Property group. This role will work with several members of the group and act as an integral part of the team dynamic.
To be successful in this role, you should have three (3) to five (5) years’ experience as an IP Legal Assistant, with knowledge of general IP (including patents, trademarks and IP litigation), and a Certificate or Diploma from a Community College or equivalent.
This position requires someone with strong administrative and organizational skills. The incumbent must be able to work well under pressure, multi-task, prioritize work and take direction. A team oriented approach and the ability to work in a fast paced environment are also essential. The successful candidate should also have strong typing skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of IP docketing software (i.e. PATTSY, Patricia, etc.) and accounting software (Aderant) is considered an asset.
In this role, some responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Due date docket and post-filing entries in IP Software (PATTSY) for client files, and monitor IP due dates;
- Prepare due date and post-filing reports for clients;
- Prepare necessary filing documentation (cover letters, filing forms, etc.) for patent filings in the U.S., Canada and Patent Cooperation Treaty Canadian national office and assist with filing such documentation with relevant IP Offices (online or hardcopy filings);
- Prepare necessary trademark application documentation (cover letters, filing forms, etc.) in the U.S. and Canada and assist with filing such documentation with relevant IP Offices (online or hardcopy filings);
- Assist with preparation of filings (Examiner Report Responses, registrations, maintenance fees, etc.) for patents, trademarks, industrial designs and copyright, and assist with filing such with relevant IP Offices (online or hardcopy filings);
- Assist with preparation of documents for IP litigation, such as pleadings, motion records, application records and books of authorities;
- Assist with client record creation and maintenance using Accounting software.
This is a great opportunity for a Legal Assistant who enjoys a dynamic desk and being a solid contributor to a team.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title and office location, to:
Attn: Specialist, Talent and Recruitment
Miller Thomson LLP
40 King Street West, Suite 5800
P.O. Box 1011
Toronto, ON M5H 3S1
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applicants we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.