A company’s information technology operations are an ongoing management concern. After all, the pervasive use of technology in the workplace today affects virtually every aspect of a business’ operations. Whether your business requires guidance on day-to-day issues, special or ongoing projects, or identifying problem areas related to your technology operations, Miller Thomson’s Information Technology Group can help. Our lawyers have advised public and private businesses from a variety of industries and all levels of governments on their key technology issues and challenges.
Our Information Technology Group can assist businesses with a wide range of issues, including:
- Agreements: We advise on, draft and review agreements in every area of information technology, including business process and cloud services outsourcing, hardware and systems purchases, embedded systems and firmware, telecommunications and network services, licensing, new media and content, Software-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service and Infrastructure-as-a-Service and other emerging business and licensing models, and professional and consulting services such as data hosting, processing and conversion, training, implementation, call centre operations, help desk and other support services.
- IT Licensing: We provide guidance on all aspects of licensing, including drafting and reviewing agreements, choosing licensing models and recommending alternatives, object code, open source and source code licensing, choosing the most appropriate licensing model, complying with export restrictions, structuring appropriate support and service level agreements, managing ownership and rights to sue intellectual property rights between parties, and assisting in dispute resolution and litigation related to licenses.
- IT Outsourcing, Cloud Services and Procurement: Our lawyers provide guidance on the selection of a vendor, negotiation of the agreement, management of legal issues during the course of the project, termination or expiration of the agreement and transitioning to a new provider.
- Online Presence: Our Group advises on establishing, maintaining and enhancing an online presence, managing ecommerce, website and social media legal issues, managing user-generated content, managing the use of the Internet in the workplace, drafting and reviewing online agreements, addressing privacy, information security and cybersecurity concerns in relation to websites, networks and software, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, dealing with disputes involving the Internet, including domain name issues, cyber-stalking, defamation, hacking, security breaches, crisis management and allegations of infringement related to intellectual property rights.
- Network Services: We advise on the acquisition of telecommunications circuits, wireless services, network monitoring services, network security services, hosting, co-hosting and collocation services and traditional or voice-over-IP telephone systems. We also develop acceptable use policies and agreements for the provision of network and hosting services.
- Assisting a government agency with the preparation, negotiation and finalization of a multi-year agreement with a wholly owned subsidiary of a publicly owned electricity transmission and distribution company for network services;
- Assisting a number of Ontario municipalities in developing a new template agreement to be used with RFPs that may be issued from time to time to procure commercial off-the-shelf software (COTS), and other non-customized IT products and services;
- Assisting various Ministries in all aspects of a long-term arrangement for the supply of mobile telecommunications services;
- Negotiating multi-million dollar licensing, hosting and collocation agreements for various clients
- Assisting a large multinational company with the contracts governing the acquisition, implementation and deployment of an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system
- Assisting a Crown corporation in connection with the preparation of an RFP, Master Agreement and statements of work for the supply of hardware, software and professional, hosting and support services for the implementation of a project management information system for the corporation and its clients;
- Providing advice to a government agency on issues of information security in its contracts;
- Assisting individuals and companies dealing with breaches of cyber security, cyber defamation and cyber stalking;
- Developing standard form agreements for an international network service provider, including its agreements for network services and hosting;
- Assisting a government agency with various agreements for the procurement of hardware, software, Web site development services and call centre services;
- Assisting a large municipality with a proposed outsourcing arrangement for call centre services for residents of the municipality (including assisting in the preparation of an RFP, sample agreement and statements of work);
- Assisting a municipality with the purchase of a new voice-over-IP telephone system and related services (including assisting in the preparation of the agreement and statements of work);
- Assisting a municipality with the preparation of an RFP for the acquisition of wireless telephone and data services and negotiating the resulting agreement.
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
IP lawyer James T. Swanson joins Calgary office
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce that James Swanson has joined its Calgary office in the areas of IP, Technology, and Litigation. James enjoys helping clients grow their businesses, managing complex and leading-edge legal issues, and resolving disputes in a...
Eve Munro comments on Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation in the March/April 2012 issue of the Mortgage Journal.
Eve Munro, a lawyer with Miller Thomson LLP’s Vancouver office, practicing in the area of intellectual property and information technology, says “The essential requirements [of CASL] are that commercial electronic messages may not be sent unless prior consent has been...
Maanit Zemel writes about some of the practical difficulties faced by victims of online defamation in the October 14, 2011 issue of the Lawyers Weekly.
Eamonn Flaherty, as a member of the York Technology Alliance Technology Leadership Awards selection committee, presents the award for the Momentum Company of the Year at the YTA Awards Luncheon.
More information on the YTA Awards.
MT takes part in VerdeXchange’s efforts to drive sustainable economic growth at their international forum in Toronto.
Miller Thomson is a proud sponsor of VerdeXchange Canada which presents Environmental Sustainability & Economic Growth: From California to Toronto in Toronto June 5 and 6 at the Allstream Centre, Exhibition Place. Our CleanTech, Environmental, Securities and Capital Markets, Information...
James Swanson co-chairs the Advocate’s Society Ontario e-Discovery Institute 2017 program
Aiyaz Alibhai speaks on moral rights and new technologies
Aiyaz Alibhai presents “Moral Rights and New Technologies: Authorship, Attribution, and Integrity in a Digital World” at the University of Glasgow.
James Swanson speaks at Legal Technology Conference
James Swanson chairs and speaks at the Legal Education Society of Alberta’s Legal Technology Conference.
James Swanson speaks at Ontario e-Discovery Institute conference
James Swanson co-chairs the conference and speaks on a panel discussion on ransomware. The conference is jointly presented by The Advocates’ Society, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Law Society of Upper Canada.
James Swanson speaks on current state of electronic evidence
James Swanson presents “The State of “E” – E-Discovery, E-Records and E-Evidence” at the CBA’s Civil Litigation subsection (Alberta-South) meeting.
James Swanson moderates session on artificial intelligence
The panel, entitled “Machine Learning and the Impact on Customer Acquisition”, is part of the Banff Venture Forum.
David Schnurr speaks on cloud computing
David Schnurr presents “Essential Legal Considerations in Cloud Computing” at the Ontario Bar Association’s Social Media and Internet Law conference.
Aiyaz Alibhai speaks on “Social Media Privacy Risks”
Aiyaz Alibhai presents “Social Media Privacy Risks” at Federated Press’ Managing Privacy Compliance conference. Course materials were prepared by Aiyaz and Alizeé Bilbey.
Danielle Bush and J. Andrew Sprague are presenting on “Governance Challenges in the Age of Big Data” at Federated Press’ Mini-LLB for Chief Information Officers (CIOs) program on February 27, 2015.
David Schnurr will be teaching the trademarks section of the Intellectual Property course (Fall 2014) at Western Law.
Cybersecurity: Trends and Advice for Charities and Not-for-Profit
Miller Thomson’s Social Impact Group launches its series of breakfast seminars specifically targeting charities, non-profit organizations and social enterprises. Join us for the first breakfast on cybersecurity. **Please note this seminar will be delivered in French. Date: Wednesday, April 5,...
Employee Stock Option/Share Ownership Plans Seminar
An ESOP is an important compensation tool for many technology and other owner-managed businesses. Join us as our experts advise on the “do’s and don’ts” of setting up an ESOP. This seminar is designed for business owners, CFO’s, bankers, financial...
Embedding Security Into Big Data Environments
Technological advancement and expanded use of smart phones are creating significant opportunities for businesses, but competition is also growing. Disruptive technology operators are ever more capable of addressing the needs of their customers, cheaper, faster and better. An increasing need...
Canada’s Anti-spam Legislation (CASL)
J. Andrew Sprague presents on Canada’s Anti-spam Legislation (CASL) at the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) and the Ontario Bar Association (OBA)’s joint program entitled “Countdown to Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation: Make Sure You Are Ready” on April 7, 2014....
The New Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation
Brian Curial presents to the Strathcona Rotary Club on the new Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Law: Are you ready?
Brian Curial presents a complimentary seminar on the new Canadian Anti-Spam Law.
Are You Ready for Canada’s Anti-Spam Law?
Jennifer Babe and Kathryn Frelick speak to the Guelph Chamber of Commerce on Getting Ready for Canada’s Anti Spam Legislation on Feb. 27th, 2014. Click here for more details
Les technologies de l’information et de la communication et leur impact en milieu de travail
Béatrice Arronis participates during the CACPUQ’s 10th seminar entitled “Les technologies de l’information et de la communication et leur impact en milieu de travail”. This seminar is organized by l‘Association des cadres et professionnels de l’Université de Montréal (ACPUM) and l’Association...
Miller Thomson will be hosting a breakfast seminar: “Green Made Practical” on Sept. 23 in Toronto
Tips for Businesses Negotiating Cloud Agreements
IT in Canada Online
It seems like everyone is talking about the cloud as the new norm – if you’re not already in the cloud, odds are that you’re seriously considering it.
Significant Changes to Canada’s Trademark Regime: What you Need to Know
The Canadian government has made changes that will impact almost every aspect of trademark practice in Canada. These changes are contained in two pieces of legislation, Bill C-31 and the Combatting Counterfeit Products Act. The changes make it important to...
Guidance for CASL Installation of Computer Programs Provisions (Part 1 of 2)
This Alert is Part 1 of 2, and it addresses some of the CRTC’s guidance regarding CASL’s installation of computer program provisions. Part 2 of this Alert, which will be released in early February, will address more of the CRTC’s...
Royal Assent to Changes in the Canadian Trademarks Act has Significant Implications for Brand Owners
Bill C-31, which will, among other things, implement significant changes to the Canadian trademarks regime, received Royal Assent on June 19, 2014. The date on which the Bill, Economic Action Plan 2014 Act, No. 1, will be proclaimed in force...
Canadian Senate Introduces the Digital Privacy Act
On April 8th, the Senate of Canada introduced Bill S-4, which proposes various amendments to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). The short title of this Bill is the Digital Privacy Act. PIPEDA applies to all organizations...
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Proposed Amendments to the Trade-Marks Act
The Canadian government introduced Bill C-31 on March 28, 2014. Bill C-31 is part of an omnibus budget bill, the Economic Action Plan 2014 Act, No. 1, which affects more than forty pieces of legislation and includes the most significant...
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation: It’s Time to Prepare
Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) is coming into force in less than seven months. CASL will most likely apply to you and your organization. On December 4, 2013, the Government of Canada announced that Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) will come into...
Deadline Approaching to Block Use of Trademarks by .XXX websites
Organizations that do not wish their name to be associated with a .XXX domain name should consider steps that can be taken to prevent this. In particular, a time-limited opportunity is available to enable organizations to block the use of...
Bilski Decision Alters Test for Patentability of Software and Business Method Inventions in the U.S.
Ontario Bar Association Information Technology and E-Commerce Section Newsletter, Volume 10, No. 2
In Re Bernard L. Bilski and Rand A. Warsaw: Will Bilski Stop “Business Method” Patents in the U.S.?
Glance Technologies closes rights offering
Counsel to Mackie Research Capital Corporation, the soliciting dealer and co-lead agent
Knowledgehook secures seed financing to fund expansion into global markets
Counsel to Knowledgehook
Jabil Circuit acquires Kuatro Technologies
Counsel to Jabil Circuit, Inc.
Appnovation Technologies acquires Wunderkraut Benelux
Counsel to Appnovation Technologies Inc.
Axonify raises US$27 million in growth equity funding
Counsel to Axonify Inc.
Simba Technologies acquired by Magnitude Software in cross-border transaction
IP counsel to Simba Technologies Inc.
BuildIT Software & Solutions acquired by FARO Technologies in cross-border transaction
Counsel to the shareholders of BuildIT Software & Solutions Ltd.
Syntax Systems receives strategic investment by NOVACAP
Counsel to Syntax Systems Ltd. and its principals
Dimension Data completes cross-border acquisition of Ceryx
Counsel to Ceryx Inc.
Nightingale Informatix refinances senior debt and issues convertible debenture
Counsel to an arm's length institutional vendor