Miller Thomson’s Sports Industry Group represents clients ranging from professional sports teams and local teams to national organizations and professional and amateur leagues. We have handled general and specialized issues for high profile clients, including NHL salary arbitrations on behalf of teams, financing for professional sports teams, major international championships, corporate governance, and international sports arbitration.
The laws, regulations, and internal rules, constitutions, and by-laws governing the sports industry are complex. Navigating the myriad issues that can arise is difficult and requires a practical approach. Attention to potential liabilities, such as intellectual property rights and contracting disputes, is increasingly necessary. Recognizing the diversity of each problem, we work with clients on a case-by-case basis to assemble a customized team to meet your varying legal needs.
Drawing on our entertainment and media, corporate and commercial, intellectual property, labour and employment, real estate, and tax practices, our comprehensive solutions include:
- Salary arbitrations on behalf of NHL teams
- Disputes between players and teams, leagues, and international federations
- Doping and drug related disputes
- Suspensions of players and appearance at disciplinary hearings
- Governance of companies, societies, membership of teams, etc.
- Cross-border issues
- Capitalization and funding/borrowing
- Structure for leagues, teams and players
- Team, tournament, league, and event contracting
- Event and tournament rules
- Sports equipment manufacturing and specifications
- Player contracts and sponsorships
- Sponsorship contracts
- Promotion agreements
- Television/radio rights
Acquisitions and Financing
- Purchase and sale of professional sports teams
- Acquisition and working capital financing
- Monetization of stadium naming rights
- Intercreditor arrangements between Financial Institutions and governing leagues
- Venue construction financings
- Margined facilities in favour of professional athletes
Marketing, Advertising and Regulatory
- Contests, sweepstakes and promotions
- Co-promotion, sponsorship, coventure, media buy and other agreements
- Advertising review, clearances and standards
- Rewards /incentives programs
- Price advertising
- Ambush, email and social marketing
- Rights of publicity and privacy
- Event, venue, player and team naming rights
- Protection of trade-marks, copyrights and domain names
- Team branding
- Labour relations and employment
- Engagement of team members, coaches and trainers
- Human rights
- Workers’ compensation
- Occupational Health and Safety
Venue & Event Management
- Building of venues, naming rights and operating services
- Broadcasting rights and agreements
- Event advertising
- Television and radio contracts
- Development of buildings and other venues
- Venue leasing
- Construction contracts
E-Commerce & Internet
- Event advertising and ticketing
- Posting event results on websites / broadcasting or streaming of events
- Domain name dispute resolution
- Venue and event liability and insurance
- General health insurance for competitors
Tax and Customs
- Tax deductions for donations to, and taxation of, sporting teams and societies
- Characterization of various payments to stakeholders
Private Client Services
- Trust and will strategies to achieve wealth distribution objectives while minimizing tax consequences
- Cross-border will and trust planning
- Athlete and coaching visas
- Athlete immigration
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
IP lawyer James T. Swanson joins Calgary office
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce that James Swanson has joined its Calgary office in the areas of IP, Technology, and Litigation. James enjoys helping clients grow their businesses, managing complex and leading-edge legal issues, and resolving disputes in a...
Danielle Bush quoted in Globe and Mail on sports betting and match fixing in Canada
Danielle Bush, a partner in Miller Thomson’s Toronto office and an expert on gambling law, was quoted in a Globe and Mail article entitled, “Debate over sports betting bill shines light on billion-dollar grey zone”. In the article, Bush...
Miller Thomson lawyers work on upcoming Montreal film productions
Mr Dean Chenoy and Mr Philippe St-Louis, part of Miller Thomson’s Entertainment Law Group, are presently working on the following film productions: After the Ball, Brooklyn, the Walk and Stonewall. For more information, please click here (French only)
James Klotz speaks on corruption in sports
James Klotz speaks on a panel on Corruption in Sports, at the Center for the Advancement of Public Integrity, Columbia Law School, New York.
Jacqueline King speaks at the Civil Litigation Skills Certificate Program sponsored by The Advocates’ Society on the topic of “Preparing Winning Court Documents” on Tuesday, February 23.
Jacqueline King presents on “Pleadings and Affidavits: How to Avoid Motions to Strike”. For information on how to attend, please visit the Advocates’ Society’s web site or view the programme flyer.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Professional Athletes, Entertainment Law in Canada
LexisNexis, Issue 30
The Enforceability of Parental Waivers
Sports Law Communiqué