High-quality legal advice and mentoring can be critical to the success of start-up and early-stage businesses. Since its launch in 2006, Miller Thomson’s MTech® program for emerging businesses has helped hundreds of start-up entrepreneurs achieve their objectives and grow. The MTech® program gives founders, owners and managers of rapidly emerging businesses access to sophisticated legal advice and top lawyers at competitive pricing.
With the MTech® program, businesses can expect:
- Matching of early-stage clients with lawyers who work regularly with start-ups
- Prioritizing legal services to synchronize with good cash management
- Attractive and predictable billing
- A focus on an Intellectual Property (IP) strategy that creates value
- Access to templates designed for technology start-ups
- Ensuring clients are positioned as “investment ready”
In addition to the services described above, some of the more common, discreet needs of our start-up and early-stage clients are offered in packaged kits of legal services. These kits are designed to deliver cost-effective, timely and practical services on fundamental issues specific to start-ups. These kits are offered at capped fees tailored to our local offices.
MTech®-enrolled clients receive the essential services and strategic advice necessary to create a solid legal foundation for their ventures.
The services offered by our MTech® team broadly fall into three categories:
- Leading Business Expertise: Our Corporate / Commercial and Tax lawyers provide advice across all sectors on business formation, governance issues, organizational structures, operational issues, employment and independent contractor matters, registration and licensing matters, regulatory compliance, and shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements.
- Maximizing IP Value: Our IP lawyers help clients realize the full potential of IP and strategize against the risk of competition, infringement, counterfeiting and loss of value. We advise on all aspects of patents, trade-marks, industrial design, trade secrets, IP litigation and disputes, and IP licensing agreements, open source commercialization schemes, as well as the management and securitizing of their IP.
- Social Innovation: Our Social Impact (formerly Charities and Not-for-Profit) lawyers are familiar with trends in social innovation enterprises and strategies for accommodating for-profit and not-for-profit activities by the same entrepreneurial team. We also have expertise in emerging social finance structures that facilitate capital raises from both private investors and foundations.
Anthony de Fazekas is quoted in the article titled “Putting a Value on IP” in the recent May 2012 Lexpert Magazine.
Read the full article: Putting a Value on IP
Miller Thomson is delighted to announce that two valued clients have won the Road to Banff Venture Forum Pitch-Off Competition. Toronto-based user-engagement platform Viafoura and Waterloo-based global, intelligent, mobile learning tech start-up ClevrU to
MILLER THOMSON CLIENTS NAB TWO OF THREE GRAND PRIZES AT VENTURE FORUM PITCH-OFF ClevrU, Viafoura off to Banff Venture Forum after taking home top prizes at Canada 3.0 May 18, 2011 – Miller Thomson is delighted to announce that two...
David Schnurr presents a seminar on Intellectual Property Considerations for Entrepreneurs
David Schnurr presents a seminar entitled “So You Want To Build A Startup? Intellectual Property Considerations For Entrepreneurs” at the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University. Here David will discuss the important role intellectual property plays...
David Schnurr presents a Patent & Trademark and Start-up Strategy seminar
David Schnurr presents a Patent & Trademark and Start-up Strategy seminar at the Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre at the University of Waterloo.
“Market Close” Cocktail – Artificial Intelligence
Next Miller Thomson’s “Market Close” Cocktail will be on artificial intelligence. Join us for an informal discussion on the latest developments in the Canadian market regarding the emergence and increased prominence of artificial intelligence and the rapidly evolving commercial and regulatory...
Calgary’s Disruptor, Unicorn or Castle in the Air Half Day Seminar
James Swanson, Kevin Plowman and Kenneth Phillips host a complimentary and interactive half day seminar on Wednesday, October 25, including an opportunity to share your venture as a case study as they focus on: New business models Legal structures All important IP...
Edmonton’s Disruptor, Unicorn or Castle in the Air Half Day Seminar
James Swanson, Wayne Logan and Bruce Geiger host a complimentary and interactive half day seminar on Tuesday, October 31, including an opportunity to share your venture as a case study as they focus on: New business models Legal structures All...