Artificial intelligence (AI) has made the leap from science fiction to reality, and it is one of the fastest growing areas in the business world. AI covers a variety of technologies, including machine learning, machine perception, problem solving, language processing, and advanced robotics. Applications range from self-driving cars to facial recognition, smart homes, big data analytics, and more.
Many businesses are now creating or using AI, but may not be prepared for the way it affects their business and legal planning. Miller Thomson has an interdisciplinary team dedicated to supporting clients in every aspect of AI creation and implementation. Our lawyers use their diverse expertise to help businesses take advantage of the exciting developments in this field while protecting them from the risks associated with it.
The challenges related to AI aren’t just applicable to the software industry. They will affect almost every type of business in the future, and are already front-of-mind for industries including:
- financial services
AI is advancing so quickly that it can be difficult to stay on top of the repercussions for your business. Our team is at the forefront of AI law, constantly tracking developments and disputes in this area so that we can keep you up to date and informed. This will reduce your risk of exposure to potential pitfalls in protecting your IP, avoiding infringement on existing IP, using collected data, and ensuring that your use of AI is properly covered in your agreements and transactions.
AI is having a huge impact on many areas of law, and in some cases the legal guidelines are just beginning to take shape. Privacy, ethics, and human rights laws are closely connected with the use of AI. Our lawyers can assess the risks your business faces in these areas and keep you on the right side of a moving line. Our cyber security team can also play a role in keeping your IP and your data secure from ongoing threats.
Miller Thomson takes a full-service approach to AI that covers every area of concern and helps you to make the most of developing technologies. We have team members located across the country to provide effective, timely, and practical advice to our clients. Some of the services our AI team offers include:
- Obtaining and protecting IP rights
- Data security including storage of data in the cloud
- Privacy assessments for using AI and big data
- Preparing licensing agreements for AI products
- Prosecuting infringements of IP rights and patents
- Risk assessments related to AI and liability
- Financing for AI projects
- Mergers and Acquisitions in the AI sector
- Blockchain and SaaS agreements
- Counsel to a client in preparing patent applications for technology related to computer vision, artificial neural networks and computational medical imaging.
- Counsel to a client on patent work relating to a robotic arm that functions in relation to muscle pulses.
- Counsel to a client in preparing patent applications for technology that utilize learning algorithms, such as a 3D VR environment for improving memory and method of tracking an forecasting position of marine vessels.
- Counsel to a client in preparing patent application for a device that functions as a companion and can learn speech, questions, entertainment choices of the person to whom the device provides companionship.
- Counsel to Kitchener, Ontario-based software developer Knowledgehook in securing $1.25 million in seed financing to fund the platform’s expansion into global markets.
- Counsel to Thalmic Labs Inc., a company that makes revolutionary wearable technologies that will fundamentally change the way we interact with computers, in the negotiation of a US$120 million Series B financing led by Intel Capital, The Amazon Alexa Fund and Fidelity Investments Canada.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
James Swanson speaks at a private training session on Future and Blockchain Technologies
James Swanson presents a private training session to the Alberta Court of Appeal. His presentation, “The Future Ain’t What It Used to Be (with apologies to Yogi Berra)”, will focus on disruptive technologies of the present and the near future such as Artificial...
James Swanson speaks on the Future of Privacy
Jim presents at the Privacy and Access Council of Canada’s National Privacy and Data Governance Congress. Topic of discussion is “The Virtual Fishbowl and the Future of Privacy – Will Artificial Intelligence, Automation, the Internet of Things and Block Chain...
Imran Ahmad speaks on Blockchain Technology and Artificial Intelligence for Financial Services Conference
Imran Ahmad speaks in a conference on the issues of Cybersecurity and Artificial Intelligence of Blockchain and smart contracts. The conference will be in French.
James Klotz speaks at IBA Conference
James Klotz is moderator for the “Artificial Intelligence” panel, and is a speaker for the final joint session at the IBA Conference.
James Swanson moderates session on artificial intelligence
The panel, entitled “Machine Learning and the Impact on Customer Acquisition”, is part of the Banff Venture Forum.
“Market Close” Cocktail – Artificial Intelligence
Next Miller Thomson’s “Market Close” Cocktail will be on artificial intelligence. Join us for an informal discussion on the latest developments in the Canadian market regarding the emergence and increased prominence of artificial intelligence and the rapidly evolving commercial and regulatory...