Communications and Telecommunications
Miller Thomson’s Communications Group has experience in almost all areas of telecommunications and broadcasting regulation and policy, and has represented and advised clients in matters before the CRTC (Canada’s federal broadcasting and telecommunications regulator), Industry Canada (the federal radio spectrum authority) and the Federal Court.
Through an ongoing close relationship with a network of key contacts at the CRTC and Industry Canada, our lawyers provide clients with effective and timely results in their dealings with these government agencies.
Our telecommunications clients include large incumbent telephone companies, resellers, international telecom service providers, paging and other wireless companies, mobile satellite service providers, wireless fleet management service providers, network owners, calling card companies, telemarketing companies and radio equipment manufacturers.
Our broadcasting clients include television networks, cable television and DTH satellite undertakings, specialty TV channels, radio stations and an international broadband satellite service provider.
In addition to providing specialized regulatory advice to traditional telecommunications and broadcasting service providers, our lawyers are called upon to provide regulatory and commercial advice to clients involved, directly or indirectly, in all aspects of the telecommunications and broadcasting sectors, including domestic and international lenders, underwriters and other financial institutions, municipalities, building owners and property managers and large telecommunications customers.
Telecommunications: We offer both regulatory compliance and strategic advice to domestic and international companies operating, or seeking to enter or invest, in the Canadian telecommunications industry, including:
- Advising on the foreign ownership rules applicable to Canadian telecommunications carriers and satellite service providers drafting commercial and corporate governance documents that comply with such rules
- Advising on the regulation of and restrictions on telemarketing activities in Canada
- Advising on the application of Canada’s universal service obligation required of all telecommunications service providers
- Advising and representing clients in litigation related to the use and occupation of space in municipal rights-of-way and in privately owned multiple-unit buildings by telecommunications carriers
- Preparing applications for radio spectrum and other telecom licences
- Preparing applications for certification of radio equipment
- Advising on the use and deployment of antenna pole structures;
- Preparing applications to the Competition Bureau for mergers and acquisitions in the telecommunications sector;
- Advising on issues unique to the Canadian telecommunications industry in respect of telecommunications acquisitions and mergers, corporate reorganizations, debt and equity financing, and bankruptcy and insolvency
- Drafting and negotiating comprehensive telecommunications service agreements for carriers, network providers, resellers and customers
Broadcasting: We offer both regulatory compliance and strategic advice to domestic and international companies operating, or seeking to enter or invest, in the Canadian broadcasting marketplace, including:
- Advising on Canada’s foreign ownership restrictions applicable to broadcasting undertakings
- Preparing applications for satellite spectrum licences to Industry Canada for satellites offering broadcasting and other broadband services
- Advising on and preparing applications to the CRTC for transfers of ownership and control of broadcasting undertakings
- Advising on issues unique to the Canadian broadcasting industry in respect of broadcasting acquisitions and mergers, corporate reorganizations, debt and equity financing, and bankruptcy and insolvency
- Drafting CRTC broadcasting licence applications for digital television channels
- Advising on the legality of the sale of “grey market” satellite dishes