Shashi Malik, CPA, CA, J.D., TEP, is the Office Managing Partner for Calgary and sits on the Firm’s National Executive Committee. He has also held a provincial leadership role for tax and private client services at Miller Thomson. Shashi is a partner practising tax law and helping clients with the business aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and corporate reorganizations.
Shashi advises on tax matters relating to private and public equity and debt financing transactions, resource flow through financing structures, the use of partnerships and trusts as alternative business vehicles, and the structuring of cross-border investments. He has significant experience with dispute resolution involving taxation authorities. His experience also covers a broad range of commercial and corporate matters, including shareholder and partnership agreements and shareholder disputes. Shashi also acts on the taxation and business aspects of private mergers and acquisitions and corporate reorganisations. In addition, Shashi is a Trust and Estate Practitioner.
Other leadership roles include serving as a member of the By-laws and Rules Committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta since 2009. Shashi also serves as a Director of several private companies and is a Director of the MS Society (Calgary Branch).
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Shashi practiced as a tax manager with two different national chartered accounting firms and has instructed for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta. He has also lectured in various tax seminars, including with respect to tax planning for private corporations and their shareholders, amendments to the Canada-U.S. Tax Treaty and cross-border investments, the taxable Canadian property rules, and the safe practice of taxation and tax adviser negligence.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), 2013-2016, its highest level of professional ranking
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) Specialized Tax Course— International Tax, 2000
- CICA Specialized Tax Course—Corporate Reorganizations, 1998
- CBA Tax Law for Lawyers, 1997
- Stikeman Elliott National Tax Award, 1996
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Award of Excellence in Corporate Taxation, 1996
- Dean’s Honour Roll, University of Calgary Law School, 1996
- CICA In-Depth Tax Course, 1990-1992
- CA Designation Alberta, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta (ICAA), 1992
- CA Designation Ontario, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (ICAO), 1989
Publications & Presentations
- Presentation and Preparation of Material for “Structuring for Canadians Doing Business in the United States,” Miller Thomson, Recent Tax Developments
- Presentation and Preparation of Material for “Federal Budget Update,” Miller Thomson, Recent Tax Developments, 2011- 2016
- Presentation, “Insurance—Not So Taxing,” November 2013
- Presentation, “Post Mortem Tax Planning Part II—Business Issues,” Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Canada (Calgary Branch), October 2013
- Presentation, “Restructuring for Sale of a Business and Cross-Border Investment Issues”
- “SCC Daishowa Decision: Assumed Liabilities Not Considered Proceeds of Disposition,” Tax Notes, August 2013
- Presentation,“Planning for the Tax Efficient Sale of a Business”
- Presentation and Preparation of Material for “Restructuring for the Sale of a Business,” Entrepreneurial CA’s of Calgary, March 2011
- Presentation, “Update on Cross-Border Taxation and Taxable Canadian Property”
- Prepared original material and presented seminars for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta: CPD Course “Practicing Safe Tax,” in Calgary and Edmonton to, 1999-2007
- Presentations and Preparation of Technical Material “Tax Negligence and Practicing Safe Tax”, Entrepreneurial CA’s, March and October 2004
- Instructed Professional Development Tax Courses for ICAA, 1998-2007
- Member, Bylaws and Rules Committee of the ICAA, 2009-current
- Board of Directors, MS Society, Calgary Branch
- Member, Board of Directors, for several private companies
- Trustee for several family trusts
- Speaker CBA Southern Alberta Law Conference
- United Way Calgary Leader, 2003-current
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta (formerly ICAA)
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (formerly ICAO)
- Member, Trusts & Estates Practitioners (TEP) Designation, 2015
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch—Managing Partners Section, Taxation Specialists Section
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Chamber of Commerce
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1997
- J.D., University of Calgary, 1996
- M. Acc., University of Waterloo, 1988
- B.A. (chartered accountancy studies, honours), University of Waterloo, 1987
- Dean’s Honours List – University of Waterloo, 1984-1987 inclusive
- University of Waterloo Faculty of Arts Entrance Scholarship, 1983, 1984
- University of Waterloo Arts Scholar, 1983
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Shashi B. Malik is presenting at the STEP seminar in Calgary on October 16, 2013
Shashi Malik is speaking at the STEP seminar on Post Mortem Planning Part II: Business Issues at the Calgary Petroleum Club on Wednesday, October 16, 2013. 7:30 – 9:30 AM
Shashi B. Malik presents to the Entrepreneurial CA’s of Calgary on “Restructuring for the Sale of a Business” March 16th, 2011.
Tax Update Seminar
Miller Thomson presents a complimentary tax seminar. This seminar is designed for accountants, financial advisors, tax professionals, private business owners, and others who deal with tax related issues. Our seminar focuses on: New Tax Rules affecting Trusts, Estates and Charitable...
Recent Tax Developments 2013 – Saskatoon
Miller Thomson presents a breakfast seminar on “Recent Tax Developments,” hosted by the Saskatoon office.
Recent Tax Developments 2013 – Regina
Miller Thomson presents a breakfast seminar, “Recent Tax Developments” hosted by the Regina office.
Recent Tax Developments 2013 – Calgary
Miller Thomson’s Calgary office hosts a seminar on “Recent Tax Developments.”
Recent Tax Developments 2012 – Regina
Miller Thomson’s Regina office hosts a breakfast seminar on “Recent Tax Developments.”
Recent Tax Developments 2012 – Saskatoon
Miller Thomson’s Saskatoon office hosts a breakfast seminar on “Recent Tax Developments.”
Recent Tax Developments 2012 – Calgary
Miller Thomson hosts a seminar in Calgary on “Recent Tax Developments.”
Recent Tax Developments 2011 – Calgary
Miller Thomson’s Calgary Tax Group hosts a breakfast seminar on “Recent Tax Developments.”
SCC Daishowa Decision: Assumed Liabilities Not Considered Proceeds of Disposition
On May 23, 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada (“SCC”) released its decision in Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. v. R. (2013 SCC 29) (“Daishowa”). Rothstein J., writing for a unanimous court, introduced the decision by posing the age-old question “If a tree falls...
Federal Budget Review 2013
Click here to view.
Federal Budget Review
View the Federal Budget Review
Sammons Renewable Energy acquires Sorgent.e Hydro Canada
Counsel to Sammons Renewable Energy
Nashco Consulting acquired by Accenture
Counsel to the shareholders of Nashco Consulting Ltd.
DLCS Holdings divests itself of indirect equity stake in Avmax Holdings
Counsel to DLCS Holdings Ltd. and its principal shareholder