Savvas Kotsopoulos is a real estate lawyer practicing in the firm's Toronto and Markham offices. In addition, he is chair of Miller Thomson's new national retail services group, which he founded.
His practice focuses primarily in the areas of commercial real estate, mergers and acquisitions and financings across a broad range of real estate asset classes. His commercial real estate practice encompasses all aspects of real property transactions, including purchases and sales, development of new projects, commercial leasing and financings.
Savvas has developed particular expertise in the retail industry, including advising U.S. and international retailers seeking to expand their business in Canada, either organically through “greenfield” development or through acquisitions of existing businesses or real estate portfolios.
He also regularly provides advice to clients in respect of the registration and ongoing compliance requirements under provincial real estate brokerage and mortgage brokerage legislation.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Savvas was employed at another national Canadian business law firm.
- Best Lawyers in Canada – Real Estate Law, 2014
- Selected by Lexpert Magazine as part of the 2013 Class of Rising Stars, Top Lawyers in Canada under 40 years old
Savvas has acted as counsel for:
- a prominent Canadian junior department store chain in the sale of a majority of its leasehold interests in premises across Canada to a US retailer, transacted at well over a billion dollars
- a US home improvement retailer in a variety of mandates in connection with its Canadian expansion, including regulatory advice, the securing of sites and the development of large format retail stores
- various resident and foreign-based private equity funds and retailers in transactions involving the acquisition and disposition of retail brands and associated assets, inclusive of large portfolios of leased and owned real estate
- a US private equity fund in various transactions involving the disposition of a portfolio of industrial properties across Canada
- a renewable power generation company in its acquisition and retrofitting of a hydroelectric dam in Northern Ontario and related project finance transaction
- a major European bank in connection with a project finance transaction involving a capital investment to improve the infrastructure and extend the life of a mine in Northern Ontario
- a hospitality-focused real estate investment trust in connection with its acquisition and financing of 8 hotels across Canada
- a US based trust in connection with its acquisition of 4 cinema-anchored power centres in Ontario
- various institutional real estate asset and property managers in connection with real estate and mortgage brokerage licensing and regulatory requirements across Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC)
- National Association of Office and Industrial Properties (NAIOP)
- the Urban Land Institute
- Hellenic-Canadian Board of Trade
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall, York University, 2002
- B.A. in Political Science and Law and Society, York University, 1999
- Savvas has presented for several years at the ICSC’s annual Canadian Law Conference on a variety of topics concerning retailers and landlords. He also recently conducted a seminar on Joint Venture Structures in real estate transactions for NAIOP’s Developing Leaders Group.
- Lease Transfer Provisions & Corporate Tenant, Leasing Times, July 2013
- Canada Remains Fertile Ground for US Retailers, The 2013 Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2013
- Laying the Foundation for a Build-to-Suit Lease, Leasing Times, December 3, 2012
- Transfers of Retail Leases - Issues and Pitfalls, Leasing Times, March 1, 2012