"Skilled and experienced counsel":
Arbitrator Wilson in Aboui v. Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company, December 11, 2008.
Larry Foy has defended insurance companies for over 30 years. He has run the gauntlet of first and third party claims, from bad faith claims to class actions, always advocating diligently for his clients.
In the course of his long career, Mr. Foy has participated in the evolution of Ontario insurance law at both the trial and appellate levels. Larry is a seasoned jury trial lawyer. He has advocated before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and has attended hundreds of mediations. He recognizes the costs of litigation and tries to resolve matters creatively and expediently whenever possible to keep legal expenses to a minimum. Larry effectively analyzes the cost/benefit of every matter in which he is involved, and his clients have come to rely upon his advice on 'when to hold them and when to fold them'.
Larry has chaired a national seminar on bad faith claims. He has lectured on partial settlement agreements, sports torts and privacy law and evidence. In his private life has been a volunteer construction worker building schools and feeding centres in Guatemala. Larry has served on the Board of the George Hull Centre, a non-profit organization serving troubled youth and their families in Etobicoke. His sporting life sees Larry as an avid backcountry skier and scuba diver.
Martindale-Hubbell rating 4.4 of 5: distinguished
Recent reported decisions:
Gardner v. Hann 2011 ONSC 3356 (Can LII)
Gardner v. Hann 2011 ONSC 3350 (Can LII)
Gardner v. Hann 2011 ONSC 4105 (Can LII)
Gardner v. Hann 2012 ONSC 2006 (Can LII)
The Dominion of Canada v. Chambers, 2013 ONSC 6122
- LL.B., Western University, 1977
- B.A., University of Toronto, 1973
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Insurance Law, 2013 - 2017
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, Litigation-Commercial Insurance, 2015
- Arbitrator Wilson in Aboui v. Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company, December 11, 2008.
- Member, County of York Law Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association
- Member, Advocates Society
- Member, Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
- Member, Defence Research Institute (U.S.)
- Member, International Association of Defence Counsel (U.S.)