Joshua Liswood is Chair of Miller Thomson’s National Health Industry Practice. He advises health industry clients on a broad range of matters with particular emphasis on corporate governance, regulatory issues, private/public relationships and transactions, and medical/legal litigation.
He regularly provides general counsel to the firm’s public and private sector health clients, as well as acting on behalf of its clients in respect of their interactions with government and regulatory bodies. Mr. Liswood has also advised and assisted healthcare clients in their successful negotiation with government in respect of restructuring.
He has argued cases before the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as appearing on behalf of the firm’s clients before the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Superior Court of Justice, the Coroner’s Court, the Health Professions Review and Appeal Board, along with other tribunals.
In July 1994, the Law Society of Upper Canada requested that Mr. Liswood act as special counsel to the Law Society’s Insurance Task Force. Following the Task Force Report, he was asked to act as Interim President of the Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company, which provides liability insurance to all lawyers in Ontario.
Mr. Liswood combines extensive experience in health related legal matters with an emphasis on first understanding the client’s needs to ensure that all the decisions made are responsive to the client’s business goals.
Outside of his practice, he enjoys skiing, canoeing, and travel.
- Profiled in Best Lawyers in Canada, health care law section
- Recognized in Lexpert Directory, medical negligence section
- Recognized in Lexpert Directory, top 100 leaders of industry focused legal practices in Canada
- Plan International Canada Inc. (formerly Foster Parents Plan), Vice-Chair
- Plan International Inc.; Director
- Member of Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Medico-Legal Society
- Member of the Defense Research Institute
- Member of the Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1977
- B.A., York University
- Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act Proclaimed in Force, Health Communiqué, October 18, 2011
- Best Practices: Applications for Hospital Privileges, Health Communiqué, September 29, 2011
- Legislative Amendments Facilitate Expansion of Nurse Practitioners' Role in Hospitals, Health Communiqué, July 14, 2011
- The Excellent Care for All Act, 2010, Health Communiqué, December 15, 2010
- Ontario makes changes to governance and critical incident reporting requirements for public hospitals, Health Communiqué, May 13, 2010
- Bill C-4: Future changes for federally incorporated Not-for-Profit Corporations, Health Communiqué, September 3, 2009
- Managing Workplace Violence and Disruptive Physician Behaviour: Coroner's Inquest Into the Death of Lori Dupont, Communiqué for the Health Industry, February 26, 2008
- The Legal Implications of Wait Times Strategies, 2007
- The Hospital Board and its Medical Advisory Committee: A Necessary and Valuable Partnership, Communiqué for the Health Industry, April 24, 2007
- Accountability Agreements, Communiqué for the Health Industry, October 24, 2005
- Teletriage, Teletriage Liability, Risk and Responsibility, 2004
- Liability, risk and responsibility issues attached to teletriage, 2004
- Refurbished Medical Devices, 2004
- Bill 8: An Illusionary Accountability?, Communiqué for the Health Industry, February 24, 2004
- Respiratory Therapy Update, Communiqué for the Health Industry, August 31, 2001