Donald Carr, O.Ont., Q.C., J.D., L.H.D.
Donald Carr concentrates his practice on estate planning, estate and trusts administration and charities law. He acts for individuals and charities. He also advises on succession to family businesses and a wide range of corporate, commercial and general business matters.
Formerly he was a founder and Senior Partner of Goodman and Carr LLP.
In 2006, Mr. Carr was appointed to the Order of Ontario which recognizes the highest level of individual excellence and achievement in any field. He was named to the Order for serving as counsel and adviser to a wide range of charities and not-for-profit organizations in the province, as well as for his probono legal work.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1964
- Recipient of the Ben Sadowski Award of Merit, 1979 (Toronto Federation)
- Appointed to the Order of Ontario, 2006
- Recipient of Lexpert’s 2012 Zenith Award
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer, 2013
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013, Trusts and Estates
- Board of Directors, The Canadian Jewish News – President
- Board of Governors, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel
- Board of Directors, Lands of the Bible Archaeology Foundation Canada
- International Council of Beth Hatefutsoth, Tel Aviv, Israel
- International Board of Tel Aviv Foundation, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- L.H.D., (Doctor of Humane Letters) Yeshiva University, New York, 1983
Past Board Memberships
- Acklands Limited
- Bank Leumi (Canada) – Vice-Chairman
- Edper Enterprises Ltd.
- Koffler Stores Ltd. (Shoppers Drug Mart)
- Pennington’s Stores Ltd.
- United Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.
- McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Ltd.
- The Oshawa Group Ltd.
- Summit REIT – Board of Trustees
- Secretary, Hon. Counsel and Member of National Executive, United Israel Appeal of Canada Inc.
- Advisory Board, Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy
- Chairman, National Budgeting Conference of Canadian Jewry
- President, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto
- President, United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto (Toronto Federation)
- President, Reading Law Club, Toronto
- Vice-President and Hon. Counsel, Canadian Jewish Congress
- Vice-President, Toronto Jewish Congress
- Board Member, Jewish Vocational Services
- Board Member, United Way of Metropolitan Toronto
- Federal Budget Review 2013, 2013
- Foreign Activities Guidance: Outside Canada Means Inside Canada as Well, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, December 2010
- A Fate Worse Than Death (Revocation)?, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, May 2008